Curing condensation in cupboard with a rough render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a cupboard in my bathroom that houses a washing machine. The cupbaord has been built against an external wall and inside this cupboard it gets quite damp. Inside the cupbaord it looks like a previous owner has in some places spread some sort of "render" type stuff and these areas are dry. The "render" is very rough to touch and a kind of browny colour. The rest of the wall has a dark grey plaster type appearance. It is very smooth and quite damp to the touch.

I removed the washing machine for a few days and the circulating air has dried the wall out so it must be condensation.

I would like to put the same browny render over the entire area as this seems to a protect the grey plaster and also seems to allow the wall to dry quicker. could this be because the roughness provides more surface area which aids the drying process. Anybody heard of this kind of render stuff being used and what it is so that I can get some?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the dampness is due to cold water pipes, and cold walls in a warm damp room. Try to increase the air circulation before attempting anything like rendering

Sponsored Links
yeh as posted by the guy before - the warm air in a bathroom holds alot of moisture and when it contacts a cold metal surface such as a washing machine or external wall, it will cool and condense. ventilation is the best way of controlling it so extractor fans maybe an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back