Curious smell in spare room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a 50 year old house and have spent the past 4 months doing it up and have moved in.

The spare room however has a very distinct smell which we can not get rid of.

It is a sickly-sweet smell which seems to get stronger at night. As I took out a 100% mortgage, the surveys that were done on the property were extensive and nothing untoward other that "New Kitchen" and "Replace Lintels" came back.

This smell is driving us mad!! HELP!!

Sponsored Links
vic - cooking smells from the neighbours? Does it have a hint of fish ... if so it could be an old Bakerlite (an early form of plastic, dark brown in colour) electric fitting, a below floor junction box maybe, overheating and giving off the smell.

Nah, can't be. All of the downstairs ceilings fell down during the renovation work and I had all of the house rewired and a leaky bath repaired. Tis a mystery!!!

Vic - could be vileness drifting on the wind from all the chemical works in Smogland :LOL:

Sponsored Links
SMOGLAND!!!!! How very dare you!!

I'm from gateshead not Boro and you can see the countryside and fields from where I live!!!!
;)

"Sickly sweet smell" could be a dead rodent, although cannot see how it would be worse at night.

Even though you have had a rewire and presumably new light fittings and sockets fitted it could be a result of overheating. I would check around light fittings in particular hot bulb near plastic can give rise to this sort of problem as stated and fits into the "worse at night" scenario. Most would describe the smell from this problem to be "fishy"

Vic - I know the Smoggies are away over the rolling, beautiful County Durham countryside hence "drifting on the wind" towards the most beautiful and glorious part of England. These winds, if they come up the coast, can pick-up a particulaly malodorous wiff whilst transversing the mackems. :LOL:

Seriously, are you in a semi/terrace or detached; have you discounted the neighbours cooking, smells wafting below the floor or in the roof space? Is the smell the same and does it appear every night? Is it constant throughout the year? Can you pin-point it to any event, like the central heating coming on. Muck spreading on the fields ... do you live near a farm, do they have a sillage press (does it have an ammonia smell - like urine)?

Well, I lifted the carpets today and the floor boards just smell of wood and the loft smells of loft. It is just that one room all the time, not cooking or anything,

I am more addled than an addled egg!!

I recently bought a 50 year old house and have spent the past 4 months doing it up and have moved in.

The spare room however has a very distinct smell which we can not get rid of.

It is a sickly-sweet smell which seems to get stronger at night. As I took out a 100% mortgage, the surveys that were done on the property were extensive and nothing untoward other that "New Kitchen" and "Replace Lintels" came back.

This smell is driving us mad!! HELP!!
GHOST :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back