Current in Neutral wire?? Is that normal?

Yes, I will. Thank-you for being decent about my stupidly John.

I will take all your comments on board.

Sponsored Links
I think it's something we could argue about all night. If I weren't too tired. But I stand behind the idea that if a a.c. current flows in the opposite direction to another, it is equivalent to a 180 deg phase shift. It's all a matter of frame of reference. But let's not go there.
Fair enough - but I would find that way of looking at things pretty confusing - as far as I am concerned, the 'frame of reference' should be 'the circuit' (one end of the circuit if you like), whether the conductor physically goes in a straight line, round corners, round in circles, or whatever.

If you feel that if a conductor physically bends through 180°, then the current in the two 'legs' are 180° apart, what are you going to say if the conductor bends through 90° (or 45°, or whatever) - surely not that the current in the two parts of the conductor are 90° (or whatever) out of phase??

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I will. Thank-you for being decent about my stupidly John. I will take all your comments on board.
I'm pleased to hear that. I personally don't see any point or need to be anything other than decent (even when dealing with 'stupidity' :) ) - and I have a sneaky suspicion that, as a result, people probably often take more notice of me than of other people who take a more 'outspoken' approach!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I will. Thank-you for being decent about my stupidly John. I will take all your comments on board.
I'm pleased to hear that. I personally don't see any point or need to be anything other than decent (even when dealing with 'stupidity' :) ) - and I have a sneaky suspicion that, as a result, people probably often take more notice of me than of other people who take a more 'outspoken' approach!

Kind Regards, John

I feel that is true John, you offer sage, pragmatic and courteous advice. OP, accept the admonishment (I don't really feel you know how dangerous what you did is) no one on here wants to see you hurt.

Sponsored Links
If you connect the Live of the machine to the Live in the wall and the Live in the wall is switched ON then the Neutral from the machine will be live as it is connected to Live via the electrical items in the machine.
Does the above quote not explain why the neutral wire was live?
Has anyone pointed out that until the blue wire was connected it was not a neutral; it was a line conductor?

It may be easier to envisage if you substitute an incandescent lamp (just a wire) instead of a complicated machine as in this case.

Has anyone pointed out that until the blue wire was connected it was not a neutral; it was a line conductor?
I fear that statement has the potential to cause serious confusion in a DIY forum! In any event ...
It may be easier to envisage if you substitute an incandescent lamp (just a wire) instead of a complicated machine as in this case.
Whether it's a complicated machine or the filament of a lamp, these arguments that 'the blue wire' is a 'line/live conductor' until it is connected to supply neutral rely on the fact that the functional switch (of complicated machine or lamp) in 'on' at the time - and I suspect that even those foolish enough to work on a live circuit probably don't leave a complicated machine switched 'on' whilst they are connecting power to it!

Kind Regards, John

I've no idea what you all mean, but the appliance was not switched on.

I must say I am surprised by your comments, John.

Causing confusion may lead to those who don't understand to think about it a bit more - DIY forum or not.
Imagining a filament lamp will make much clearer the reason why a shock was received.

I must say I am surprised by your comments, John. ... Causing confusion may lead to those who don't understand to think about it a bit more - DIY forum or not.
It was your choice of words which I felt many would find confusing. If you has said that, under certain circumstances, a 'blue wire' coming from an appliance (or lamp), and not connected to anything, could 'become live' (or similar wording), that would be fine - but I still believe that to say that it was 'a line conductor' has the potential to seriously confuse.
Imagining a filament lamp will make much clearer the reason why a shock was received.
In the context of this thread, (a) no-one has received a shock and, in particular, (b) the OP has just confirmed that the appliance was turned off at the time. Hence those 'certain circumstances' would not be satisfied and there is no 'simple' éxplanation as to why that blue wire should be 'live'. In the context of this thread (and assuming that the appliance really was 'totally off') I can but presume that we must, again, be talking about 'leakage', through stray capacitance or whatever - not the equivalent of continuity through a lamp filament.

Kind Regards, John

It was actually in a relative's new house that I was working in.

Remove what you've done - with the main switch off - and call in someone competent to do the work.

What you've written in your various messages proves that you don't know what you're doing, and there is a very strong chance that you will leave the system in a dangerous state.

(assuming that the appliance really was 'totally off') I can but presume that we must, again, be talking about 'leakage', through stray capacitance or whatever - not the equivalent of continuity through a lamp filament.
Many appliances have the mains filter before the appliance;s ON-OFF switch and therefore the L-E, N-E and L-N capacitors in the filter are in circuit at all times including when the appliance is turned OFF.

It also needs to be made clear to many DIYers that a neon screwdriver ( and all other indicators of voltage ) does not indicate current is flowing, they only indicate that a voltage difference is present. In the case of the neon this is a voltage difference between the wire touched and the body of the person using the screw driver.

I've no idea what you all mean, but the appliance was not switched on.

The power switch to an appliance is not required to disconnect the supply. In the majority of modern appliances it doesn't, the supply plug is used as the "disconnection device". This is why it is recommended that if the appliance is installed such that the supply plug is inaccessible (like a built in dishwasher or an under counter washing machine) an accessible switch is fitted in the fixed wiring.

(assuming that the appliance really was 'totally off') I can but presume that we must, again, be talking about 'leakage', through stray capacitance or whatever - not the equivalent of continuity through a lamp filament.
Many appliances have the mains filter before the appliance;s ON-OFF switch and therefore the L-E, N-E and L-N capacitors in the filter are in circuit at all times including when the appliance is turned OFF.
Yes, that is a definite possibility - hence my reference to "totally off".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back