Current rules of lead gas pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could someone in the know help me with regards to the current rules on lead gas pipes and joints to copper.

I've had a search through older threads but didn't find anything conclusive or recent.

I had a small gas leak in the feed to an appliance where the supply in lead was joined to 15mm copper and there are now questions about if joining lead to copper is allowed and if so what are accepted methods. I know people used to just solder the two together but that was a while back and I know things change.

Thanks

G.

Sponsored Links
Who’s questioning it? If lead is in tact and not under any stress, kinked or signs of corrosion then it’s usually fine.

The gasman a letting agent brought in who then and then charged me for.

Just trying to work out how a very simple leak ended up costing a small fortune.

There are so many charlatans in every trade, it is a good policy to build up network of reliable people whose sole purpose in life is to provide good honest service without first looking at your house size or car in the drive, charge a fee he is happy with ( you might not be though) and not have to use devious methods to earn a buck.

If lead pipe at the meter, easier to replied in copper. If lead to or near your hob, better to replace if lead joint leaking.

Take it you are in Greater Glasgow area

Sponsored Links
There are so many charlatans in every trade, ...
Take it you are in Greater Glasgow area

This is the issue, just trying to determine if this person the agent brought has done a proper job and done me over.

This is the issue, just trying to determine if this person the agent brought has done a proper job and done me over.

Have a look. Check his Gas Safe details and years of service.
Get another gas engineer to have a look
End of day might all be above board

1. You are no allowed to solder copper into lead any more, and not for years.
2. However, if the joint itself is not faulty, there is no need to change it. Its what used to be called "not to current standards".
3. If the joint is faulty it cannot be remade. The lead pipework must be replaced.

Who first raised the job.Why was it raised?A pic of the join would help. Has the work been done and how much did it cost?Didd the gas guy leave any paperwork behind with you or at the meter.

Who first raised the job.Why was it raised?A pic of the join would help. Has the work been done and how much did it cost?Didd the gas guy leave any paperwork behind with you or at the meter.

A tenant called in a smell of gas, the network engineer came out and found the leak in a compression fitting between lead and a 15mm copper (all accessible) I don't have a pic. The agent called in their person who apparently couldn't repair or replace the fitting , chased it back to a copper pipe then cut it off without noting that they also cut off the cooker without noticing. Charged £160 for the initial call (fair enough I guess) then came back to sort the cooker problem they created and charged a further £140.

They do seem to have done a fair amount of work for the money, but my question relates to was this job necessary in the first place.

A gas engineer now retired suggested that they would have just soldered the initial joint and it would have left me with a working fireplace (now cut off) and would have been a quick job. I'm not qualified to say whether or not this is legit so was hoping to get an idea of what is allowed under current regs.

If the engineer caused the problem with the cooker, then it should be at no cost to you. This should have been evident, because after the initial repair, after carrying out what’s called a tightness test, the engineer would need to have brought the initial air and then gas through to each appliance and lit the gas at each appliance (called a purge and relight), the only caveat being if the appliance was capped off or turned off for a safety defect or no longer in use.

Not a problem going back to the available copper as this would probably be the best option.

If the original leakingfitting was an approved fitting then all thatwould have been necessary was to re-make the fitting,or to replace the fitting with one ofthe many approved copper to lead gas compression fittings that are available. Thento doas CBW says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back