curtain pole/attaching to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old piece of wood attached to plaster wall above windows. Curtain pole brackets are then fixed into wood. Serves purpose ie supports curtain pole but looks cheap. Is there anything on market that is sold especially for this purpose. ( same problem to overcome though, needs to attach to plaster wall securely?) Ynx

Sponsored Links
How securely is that old batten fixed to the wall? Sometimes they can be really difficult to get off without ruining some surrounding surface plaster. Generally, they are also well fixed in (sometimes glued AND screwed)

A new batten (as suggested by alan333) would be the way to go but can you assess how easy it is to remove the current one?

If the original is going to be a bu@@er to remove then a bespoke 'cover' would be the alternative.

Last edited:
Tnx. Will look at position. When i tried to budge it, i was well secured. Any ideas where ' bespoke' covers are available from?

Sponsored Links
I meant DIY by bespoke.

I had a similar issue with an old very thick MDF batten which had been screwed and glued to the concrete lintel above my lounge window. No way was it going to budge without smashing the plasterwork.

What I did was measure the batten then construct a cover which fitted over the batten. I made the cover with a hardwood face and hardwood edges. The edges were mitred and then glued on to the face. Much like a long. shallow wooden tray which fitted over the old batten. Doesn't matter if the box is slightly larger than the batten as it fits over the batten and any curtain rail fixings go through into the original one.

I did use a router on the facing edges but that's not essential.

Sounds complex but it's not.

4 sides (strips) mitred together the same dimensions as the face piece then fit the face to the sides and affix to the batten.

If you haven't got the tools to make it, you can always order wood cut to size then glue it all together and fit it to the batten.

It's a simple enough job for a DIYer.

Apologies if that's not what you were after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back