Curtain rail/picture rail dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Have recently had new windows installed and we removed the old wooden curtain plinth/pelmet and picture rail to re-plaster. We're fitting a curtain pole this time and are in a dilemma about the position of it in relation to the picture rail. If I put it at the recommended 15cm above the recess, I will have to run the picture rail under it right across the wall and the bottom of it will be 2cm above the recess. We're thinking that might look at bit stupid. The alternative would be to get the pole level with the picture rail left and right of it, but that will mean the curtain pole is only 2cm above the recess. We will probably get light in above the curtains but I'm thinking it would probably look better. I can't change the height of the picture rail because it has to be level with the other three walls. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to put the pole up high and have the picture rail stop when it gets to the recess. The end won't show because it will be hidden by the curtain. It is pointless running the picture rail across the top of the window - you will never want to hang a picture there!

Was it that way before?

Thanks EightyTwo. Previously the picture rail butted up to the pelmet so there was a natural break, but what you suggest is a good idea, the curtains will conceal the edges. There is a but though. The picture rail and the wall above are white but below the picture rail is blue. Do you think I should use making tape to paint the wall white where the picture rail would have run and keep the 2cm below it in blue to maintain a straight eye line, or should I just paint all the area above the recess in white? Never thought it would be so much to think about!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back