Curved concrete skirting??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, if anyone knows how to remove this or cover it with wooden skirting?

My house is old and in this hall way the wall and floor has a curve concrete skirting type thing. Any help on how to remove it so I can have normal skirting. Or even why was it made lol could be fun any help would be much appreciated. Picture to demonstrate what I fail to explain

Attachments

• IMG_20220720_204050.jpg
    IMG_20220720_204050.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
Was it an external wall once, the concrete designed to throw off water, or maybe it marked a change in level at a blocked up doorway into another room. You can make a mess and chip it off or just live with it if it's not causing problems, and check on it now and again..

Blup

No I have the original plans for the house. It has always been there.

I just want it to look tider would chipping it away cause problems? Like if I chip to much? Is there like a filler or something? Sorry I haven't a clue

Sponsored Links
You could match what is there (wood/plaster?) on the vertical plane, and use a screed or filler for the floor element. But it's still going to look odd unless you replace the tile, which is why I suggested leaving it in situ.

Blup

Chisel it off.
It's very unlikely to be concrete.
I'm with Johnny on this - these sort of skirtings are often plaster or render material and are run in situ (i.e. moulded) by the plasterer. You sometimes find them in bay windows, but I have seen them in kitchens and service rooms, such as pantry rooms, etc. You'll struggle to get any sort of skirting to fit over those neatly, so they are probably best chiselled back to floor level and replaced (electrician's bolster chisel and club hammer works well). The main issue I see is that if you are retaining the existing flooring you'll need to add a beading (e.g. a quarter round) to the bottom of the skirting to cover up where the original (plaster) skirting finished

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the tile butt up to it or does it run under it? I can't tell from the photo. It almost looks like a scotia moulding but with no visible bottom flat.

Yes it's vinyl flooring as I have no clue. Even the person who laid they vinyl hadn't seen anything like it before

That's just under the vinyl. Does it look like concrete or plaster?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_141346.jpg
    IMG_20220721_141346.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20220721_141333.jpg
    IMG_20220721_141333.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 107
It's like it's built into the floor like the wall and the floor are one. I really have no clue what I am talking about excuse my ignorance.

Plane the back of the skirting so it has a wedge that will slip over the concrete
Won't work without a lot of effort because tilt piece runs quite a way under the vinyl

Kick-Up 000.jpg

and therefore the edge you'd need to plane onto the skirting results in a chisel edge at an acute angle which can't be sawn directly with a circular saw without the aid of a jig and would be a lot of work to plane and to fix accurately in position on the wall (you'd need to fix a levelled batten to the wall and work to the underside of that):

Kick-Up 001.jpg
Kick-Up 002.jpg

And it still ends up a distance above the vinyl

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back