Curved concrete skirting??

That's just under the vinyl. Does it look like concrete or plaster?
There's a surprise - it actually looks like it could be concrete or even stone. How hard is it? Can you split bits off it with a screwdriver? Can it be drilled?

Sponsored Links
Manufactured skirtings are normally in the region of 15 to 22mm thick and the kick-up at edge of the floor is visibly a lot wider than that (gauging it from the door casing in the background of the OPs photograph. Or are you suggesting having a skirting which projects past the door casing? IMHO they look a bit odd

Well as wide as necessary but obviously there's a limit as to when a skirting starts looking too deep and silly. It could be chamfered back to meet the face of the skirting, I also wasn't suggesting the skirting would be as deep as the whole chamfer just as deep as needs be to meet the vinyl (so a bit like your green image) as I don't think leaving that little bit of vinyl that kicks up a little would be very noticeable, just seems a bit more doable for the OP given the OPs seemingly pretty basic level of skills (no offence meant). The OP hasn't shown if there are other skirtings close by so it might look out of place anyway if not matching.

Sponsored Links
Unless you chop off the top of the kick-up leaving it so that you can just sit the skirting onto a more or less flat surface, you have to produce a skirting with a "razor edge" bottom. Not too bad for a couple of feet of material (you referred to skill levels, and that is also my concern), but somewhat more awkward for long lengths.

So the approach is going to be influenced by whatever material this stuff is. I've seen kick-ups like this in timber and a sort of render (coarse, sandy stuff with small stones in it), but the OPs photo has me thinking it may be some sort of composite stone (e.g. terrazzo). I wonder why they'd use that, unless the whole floor beneath they vinyl is also terrazzo?

@dobby101, what is the floor beneath the vinyl made of? Also, do you know what the room was originaly used for? Having thought about terrazzo, I'm put in mind of certain public spaces where the floors would normally be mopped to clean them and the floor and kick-up floor edges were cast as one (e.g. corridors, commercial kitchens, wet shop areas such as florists and butchers, public toilets, etc). Not common these days, but popular in the last century

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you chop off the top of the kick-up leaving it so that you can just sit the skirting onto a more or less flat surface, you have to produce a skirting with a "razor edge" bottom. Not too bad for a couple of feet of material (you referred to skill levels, and that is also my concern), but somewhat more awkward for long lengths.

So the approach is going to be influenced by whatever material this stuff is. I've seen kick-ups like this in timber and a sort of render (coarse, sandy stuff with small stones in it), but the OPs photo has me thinking it may be some sort of composite stone (e.g. terrazzo). I wonder why they'd use that, unless the whole floor beneath they vinyl is also terrazzo?

@dobby101, what is the floor beneath the vinyl made of? Also, do you know what the room was originaly used for? Having thought about terrazzo, I'm put in mind of certain public spaces where the floors would normally be mopped to clean them and the floor and kick-up floor edges were cast as one (e.g. corridors, commercial kitchens, wet shop areas such as florists and butchers, public toilets, etc). Not common these days, but popular in the last century
It is a a corridor hallway leading from the kitchen to the back door with a toilet and 2 cupboards. Everything in that hallway has this weird skirting thing. There is also a patch in my kitchen that's not covered by units.

The floor under the vinyl is concrete as far as I can tell (yes I own that my knowledge is severely lacking) the house is old it's around the 1950s

That is the plan I have for the ground floor if it helps. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-03-13-36-22-94.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-03-13-36-22-94.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 56
Worked in a few houses with various style concrete/ cement skirting.
seriously hard , almost like flint and take some serious abuse. good luck.

Also , they are often run in after the floor but before the screed. so it may be deeper than you think.
Also, Unlikely , but it could also be a route for an old lead gas pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back