Curved Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make curved doors, like the ones they do on kitchen cabinets. I'm guessing you can use flexible ply/mdf ... but how do you keep it rounded and make it "solid" as i though the flexible boards were less than 18mm.

Also, i went to a kitchen shop yesterday and they told me that their doors were chipboard/mdf with an acrylic colour which gave a 3-5mm finish (like a lamite almost). Can anyone recommend a paint/manufacturer that would achieve this ... basically its like the Parapan doors but with an mdf or chipboard core - or so they said. ;)

Thanks again for all your advice.

Zigzzz :p

Sponsored Links
You need to glue several layers or flexi ply or flexi MDF together and then they will hold their shape when dry. You will get some spring back when you take them off the former.

Only used the proper Parapan (thats thermo formed) so can't help with what you saw.

Jason

Jason thanks for your post.

With Parapan, are you able to buy directly from them or do you have to go through a local dealer - they have told me I must use the latter.

In NW London the local dealers are really expensive "designer" kitchen shops in places like Hampstead and I can imagine that they will charge an arm and a leg for these things.

Also, what sort of price could i expect to pay for a 600mm wide base unit door (flat, 18mm, in anthracite) and for 600mm wide drawer fronts (approx 200mm height each) (all with pre-formed handles on the top of them - "Front Straight Finger Pull (FF10)").

Thanks a lot ... this should help me compare with the prices these guys give.

Z

As a retail customer you would have to go through a local dealer. I've not had anything with the handles so don't know what that adds to the cost of a basic door/draw and don't really want to say what a basic door can be had for at trade prices.

Last items I had priced ffom them were some wardrobe doors, these were £425 each retail so I would expect a plain kitchen size door to be Around £200 and maybe another £50 for the handle all plus VAT

Its nice stuff though, this was the last one I was involved with.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Hi Jason

Thats a really nice kitchen. What handles do they have on the doors, or are they push open? Did you custom build the kitchen carcasses, etc yourself or were they bought from a kitchen supplier? Also, whats the worktop made of?

I'm guessing you are a trade customer for the Parapan products? If so, how did you go about doing this (i.e. are they quite willing to deal with sole traders or self employed or do they have certain criteria like minimum annual spends, etc.)?

Thanks again for all your help (and patience!). :D

Made the carcases myself here and here they fit a "turret" on the corner of a house, the pics show the hardboard floor template where all the radii were struck from.

Worktops, table top and shelves are Corian. Doors are push to open except the dishwasher, you can just see a discreete handle to the right of the oven

I did this one with a kitchen designer who got the parapan but I have not had problems getting it at trade from them, I'm just a one man band.

This is actually just the breakfast room which opens out onto the pool via a glass wall as you can see on this pic on the parapan site and also here

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back