Curved path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at building a short path to the shed, it will be curved. I am thinking of using a mixture of setts and large slabs.

Am I best not to use setts as there will be lots of cuts leaving me with small slithers and lots of work in making the cuts?

Should I stick to slabs?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In the end you have to live with it so go for which ever you find the most pleaseing. Personally I'd go for the sets. Could you make the path slightly wider and then morter on some edging bricks to save having to do loads and loads of little cuts?

Sorry if I wasn't clear I'll try again.

In your drawing the curved section would need small "triangular" cuts to maintain a smooth outer and inner edge. Without these cuts the edge is "notched" i.e. only say the corner of the sett is touching the true curve as on the drawing. Imagine a photo expanded greatly and seeing a ball's edge pixilated into little squares, if this helps.
Now, by making the path wider by one sett each side assuming they are smallish you can then form a curved edge to your path by laying bricks or whatever you choose on top of the extra setts with a flaunch behind for support. End result no cutting , an attractive finish and it makes it easier to sweep leaves off the path in the autumn.
Hope this now makes sense.

Sponsored Links
That will look a bit bodged, IMHO, especially if the traingles of mortar are large. You'll need o cut the setts to get nicely-fitting pieces. PITA, but that's the price you pay for a pleasing end result...

Thanks Wabbitpoo, how will the edge setts be held in place? I guess I will still need a brick edge, or something to hold it all in place.

Anything along the edges will need a concrete haunch to keep it in place. Lay these first, taking the time to get both edges parallel and with a slight fall across the path. Then later, laying the setts becomes eay as you dont have to continually worry about the levels. Make sure you dont leave any concrete on the inside edge of the edging bricks so it sticks up and goes off, still in the way of your setts, or you'll have to chop it out before laying the setts.

You can lay the setts on a dry mix of sharp sand and cement or just sand, but either way make sure they are tightly fitted at the end of the job or they will move.

Thanks ladylola - do you mean like this?
No , not quite. The bricks should overlap the setts and so there won't be any triangles of mortar. Then flaunched up behind the bricks i.e. on the garden side. All you see on the path is a single horizontal bedding joint that the bricks are sat on. The "cuts" won't actually be cuts they will be whole setts that go under the bricks.

Thanks ladylola - do you mean like this?
No , not quite. The bricks should overlap the setts and so there won't be any triangles of mortar. Then flaunched up behind the bricks i.e. on the garden side. All you see on the path is a single horizontal bedding joint that the bricks are sat on. The "cuts" won't actually be cuts they will be whole setts that go under the bricks.

Are you suggesting cutting the setts so they have a "ledge" that the edging bricks sit on?

Are you suggesting cutting the setts so they have a "ledge" that the edging bricks sit on?

No ,there's absolutly no cutting involved . The setts are laid wider than the actual path is intended and the edging bricks are laid on top of the setts todefine the path and then flaunched up behind.

Hope this is clearer now.

In that case Mr health and safety surely a concrete or tarmac path would remove any trip hazard (baring garden tools , kids toys and small dogs) :D

LOL yes that would be better, but then we haven't answered the original question, have we....

Erm good point.
So the original question was " should I stick to slabs?"
I've got something like 350 slabs in my garden as paths , non of which is curved, and absolutely no setts so perhaps I'm not really in a position to say "Go for the setts" after all.
Incidently a number of my slabs want relaying as some have sunk and are a definite trip hazard. Some were tunneled under by rats and have sunk too, the rats have meet their doom now by the way and luckily the slabs they called home will be coming up and will be moved somewhere else in the garden. I've digrested a bit so I'll shut up :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back