Curved reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Been to price up a job (a nice big job too!). It's ideal, it's a total refurb on a room by room basis so each room will be emptied of furniture and fittings before I turn up to plaster (assuming I get the job). I also don't need to worry about sheeting up which is ace.

However, the only downside is that every window reveal is curved. You know the type I mean. Each side is curved around the vertical and the top is square edged. The curves are more gradual than those found in a typical '30's house so it's not possible to bead them out (the customer would have preferred sqare edges).

Now I've done these curves a cople of times and hated them. I just found it really difficult to get a satisfactory finish on them. OK, when I say found it difficult I mean that I was unhappy with the finish. The clients were OK with them but I wasn't impressed. They would definately have needed a sanding before painting and possibly a bit of filling in a couple of places.

Anyone any ideas or tips on the best way to get a good finish on these curved reveals?

Cheers

Fred

Sponsored Links
the problem with any curve is you can only trowel one way. there is also difficulty in laying plaster off onto a curved surface as you tend to drag more off.

apply the first coat ensuring the surface is fairly dry and receptive as this will tend to pull more material off the trowel.

resist the temptation to fuss around with this first coat too soon. leave it as long as you dare before flattening.

again allow the first coat to go off and become fairly dry before adding a second coat.

you should have greater success the more patient you are. ;)

I have an idea that, like running those fancy ceilings, it used to be done using a trowel with a concave cut-out, pushed up (or down) the external corner.

JohnD said:
I have an idea that, like running those fancy ceilings, it used to be done using a trowel with a concave cut-out, pushed up (or down) the external corner.

it might work with plaster of paris but not with thistle multi me thinks. ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers Noseall,

They're just such a pain in the backside. Still, the more I practice the better I'll get and if I get this job (which it looks like I will do), I'll have seven windows with curved reveals to tackle.

Thanks again.

Fred.

FredFlintstone said:
Cheers Noseall,

Still, the more I practice the better I'll get

Fred.

I thought you said you were a pro? Time served?

joe-90 said:
FredFlintstone said:
Cheers Noseall,

Still, the more I practice the better I'll get

Fred.

I thought you said you were a pro? Time served?

Did I say time served? Err no. I've been plastering for four years now, although only been going it alone full time for a few months. Previously it was weekend work and property developments. I'm still learning. I will always be learning. I've done curved reveals before but wasn't personally happy with the results even though the clients were happy with the work. I have had plenty of opportunity to do more curved reveals but the client has almost always chosen to have the reveal turned into a square edge. People seem to like the square edges these days.

Tell you what though Joe, you may rate yourself as a pro but I wouldn't touch you with someone else's bargepole let alone my own after the shoite I've seen coming from your posts. I'm not even ar5ed about your opinion on how best to do it because I imagine it would be equally as hairbrained as sticking a single coat of skim on a wall or cutting mitres to join skirting on an internal corner.

Fred

Fred
No experience here but have you thought about using a stop bead & overlapping it rather than angle bead; they do bend quiet uniformly.

I see Joes back! Do you think DIYnot can create a special “lets have an argument” forum for him!

remember Fred, don't let him reel you in and ALWAYS let him have the last word. ;)

give him his dummy back too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back