Custom wet zone build - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ensuite is very small in fact, half of it is taken up with a shower cubical.
It looks crammed in, ugly, and makes the room look even smaller.

I've looked at a wet zone inplace of the cubical, to open that end up, and make it look much better.
But the cost of the kit is one I need to avoid, but the project is definitely needed.

I wanted to know if it was possible to custom make the raised floor area?

I may be wrong but I was thinking of a sturdy wood base (made to fit the full width of the room and the depth of the shower)
with a treated board to stand on, I would angle the mosaic tiling to aid drainage.

The shower would be positioned to spray away from the door (mounted to the wall).
I would also have to fit a small step or ledge under the door to prevent any spillage.

Would this be feasabil?

Thanks for all replies.

~Ben

Sponsored Links
what about tanking the floor and walls you can't just put tiles down on wood for a wet room and hope it will be water tight you need a membrane water tight floor.

isn't tanking a form of treament? is it called somthing elce?

Not trying to be sacastic at all or funny in any way, but i mentioned that i would treat the board.

i.e. "with a treated board to stand on"

I thought that there was off the shelf treatments for that purpose and that was what i meant in OP.

tank is sealing the wall & floor so water doesn't get through to the base or the plaster/brick etc
you can't rely on the tile grout that isn't water proof.

Sponsored Links
(must have still been editing whilst you where writing)

Yes i was planning to treat the wood and use waterproof grout [/quote]

you can't skimp on doing a wet room it will be a disaster.
just waterproof tile grout isn't enough or treating the wood.

thats a shame, just out of interested what are the kits made from?

thanks seco, with the additional barrier, would my little project be sound?

the platform idea would mean minimum distruption to the rest of the bathroom, i could put the membrane down over a smaller area.
I also think that cosmetically it would be more benificial to give some distiction between shower and the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back