Opinions on Wet Room idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am in the process of finalising plans for a refit to my bathroom. Includes a shower, toilet and basin, no bath. It is a small room, L shaped, about 1 metre wide by 2.5 metre long basic shape, with a door at one narrow end, adjacent to the door is a 40cm additional recess of full height into the wall. This recess is about 80cm wide. In this space the existing shower is fitted, then a basin, and then a toilet at the far end.

The layout isn't ideal. I am considering a range of possible modifications:
1) A basic swap, which would still include the ridiculously small shower enclosure,
2) A redesign to reverse the toilet and shower to put the shower at the far end of the room, the problem here is that any reasonable size shower would get in the way of the window area.

3) A wet room, with the shower at the end of the bathroom, furthest from the door, the basin on the side wall away from the shower, and the toilet in the little recessed area near the door.

My main question is therefore, as I have plenty of experience in bathroom plumbing etc. the first two options would be easy and safe for me to do.

The wet room is the ideal solution, but I have never done one before, and would be doing it front instructions and guesswork.

So, just how hard is a wet room to install? This would be upstairs above an empty garage, so if it did leak it wouldn't be the end of the world, just a pain!

Would I be stupid to persue this idea further?

Any opinions, personal experiences etc!?

Sponsored Links
wet rooms are straight foreward to do if you follow the instructions and plan what you really want before you start.

this is the system i've always used.

http://www.impey-showers.com/

they will send you a disc to watch if your not sure.
take time on the tanking of the room and you'll have no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back