Customers being ripped off - Power flushing.

Sponsored Links
My point is simple, who is going to tell me that a power flush is hard work? - once the unit is connected to the system, what is hard about it, nothing,...
You have clearly no idea how a powerflush actually works. If you just stick the machine on for an x amount of time and just sit there watching it, you might as well not bother doing it at all.
A powerflush machine just churning round will no more solve the problem than a FGA on its own will tune a boiler.

And you clearly dont read posts before you get on your high horse, go back a few and read... :rolleyes:

90% Figure is pure bull and should be pulled by trading standards,

Be my guest, http://www.proflush.co.uk/introduction.htm feel free to do it, i have provided the link for you.

Further info from thet same site, others may find useful...

What is Powerflushing?

•Some important things you need to know about powerflushing and why it is so important

•Powerflushing is a rapid movement of water through the system, aided by the use of cleaning chemicals to remove deposits.

•It is the only effective way to remove debris from the system.

•Expelling the dirty water to drain and replacing with clean water from the mains supply, which can be done in either direction of flow.

•After flushing the radiators the system water should be tested with a TDS meter and should be within 10% of the reading gained from the mains water. The clean system is then ready for treatment with a corrosion inhibitor.

•Without this treatment no guarantees can be given as to the life or efficiency of the system.

What is Water Treatment?

Without the introduction of cleansers and corrosion inhibitors a central heating system will start to corrode from day one, even on a brand new sealed system. Fluxes used during (the) installation can plate out on the inside of radiators and cause pin holes within weeks if the system is not flushed out with a Pre-Commission cleanser and then treated with corrosion inhibitor.

Where a new boiler is to be fitted to an older system, cleansing is of utmost importance in order to remove layers of Magnetite and in hard water areas limescale. If this is not done a Hi Efficiency boiler with a SEDBUK A or B rating would be brought down to a C or D rating, making the installation impracticable and resulting in early failure of the boiler. This would not be covered by a manufacturer’s warranty in these circumstances. In order to give the system its full life expectancy, water treatment should always be carried out.

Why do you need Water Treatment?

•To minimise corrosion of the system metals to inhibit the formation of scale and sludge

•To inhibit the growth of microbiological organisms

•To maintain the engineering design specifications and energy efficiency of the system
•To restore energy efficiency of the system where appropriate

Who says so?

Building Regulations - Part L refers to the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide. This states that the minimum provision in new and existing dwellings is

•(a) Thorough cleaning and flushing out before installing a new boiler
•(b) During final fill add the corrosion and scale formulation (Corrosion Inhibitor).
•Follow guidance given in BS 7593:2006
•(c) Refer to boiler manufacturers instructions for appropriate treatment
•(d) Where hardness > 200ppm, treat feed water to water heaters and hot water circuit of combi to reduce limescale accumulation
The results of best practice

The benefits of conducting Water Treatment / Powerflushing within Central Heating Systems:

•A quieter boiler because of the removal of lime scale build up on the heat exchanger.

•Hotter Radiators and a quicker warm up from the removal of Black Sludge “Magnetite” and elimination of cold spots.

•A longer lasting system. Pumps will last longer and radiators will have an extended life if there is no corrosion present and suitable corrosion inhibitors are used.

•Lower fuel bills due to a more efficient system. It costs more to heat solid magnetite than it does water! Estimated that up to 25% savings can be made.

•Complies with The Benchmark Code of Practice exceeding the BS:7593 2006 standard when installing new boilers on old or new installations.

•A safer environment when under taking system cleaning. Self contained unit. No taking individual radiators of the wall and struggling to avoid getting black sludge on carpets etc

•Complies with The Benchmark Code of Practice exceeding the BS:7593

There you go done some homework for you, BS:7593 - flushing standard for a heating system, and if a tool exceeds a BS standard, then that is good enough for me, for this and the fact that i like the idea of having a thermal unit fitted to a power flushing unit, for obvious reasons, i bought one... 3 years ago and am very happy with it. :D

Because i am a nice sort of chap (well i like to think so anyway) here are some links of power flushes that are being carried out for around the £200 mark:

http://www.magnapowerflush.com

http://www.powerflushuk.co.uk

http://www.powerflushing.co.uk

I can go on if you like? - but i think i have made my point, that is you don't have to pay inflated prices for a power flush to be carried out, there are many out there who will do the same job for less.

Oh and BTW, no i do not have any affiliation to those links above, although anyone wishing further information, by all means contact me (private message)

So boys/girls if you are charging too much, well... enjoy it while you can!! :LOL:

If you are looking to have a powerflush carried out, please dont just take your first quote as gospel, you dont even have to have it carried out by the person changing the boiler, for example....they wont like it, but at the end of the day its your money - Good luck.

Regards, to all. :)

Sponsored Links
Well the way I see it , how is some one being ripped off if they are told the cost prior to any work taking place ?? Its there decision take it or leave it ?

As for power flushing we do it if they want us to ! manufacturers will always gripe about carp in the system , anything to weasle out of there warranty obligations , if they are saying that most faults are due to systems not being flushed ect I don't buy it ;)

Any way they make alot of money on spares , all these super clean systems will cost them money in the long run ;)
some on here should be grateful to people like me , when I first started in this trade the only thing you added to a system was washing up liquid ! the fella I first worked for did have standards , he would only use fairy liquid , not the cheap stuff :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back