Customised Door? Customised Wardrobe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a boiler change, I now have the cupboard space to use where the water tank previously was. This is located in my bedroom!

I would like to make it more attractive on the outside (as well as inside!). Basically there is a vile door that looks as though the previous owners cut in half to make it like a stable door - but not very well at all!

I was thinking of replacing the door but the dimensions are so big that I haven't a clue where to start! The door dimensions are: height 234cm width 63cm.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Also beside this cupboard I have a space of 120cm to fill. I have been searching to find a wardrobe to fill up the space as much as possible as my current wardrobe is only 100cm - not really making the most of the very little space I have in the bedroom.

I have found a couple of wardrobes that are 120cm but they are not tall and not deep.

It then got me thinking if there is a company who make made to measure wardrobes but without being fitted...

Any ideas on this as well?

Sponsored Links
Splash out and have the cupboard removed, plasterwork made good and room redecorated. You know it makes sense :)

Splash out and have the cupboard removed, plasterwork made good and room redecorated. You know it makes sense :)

That would have been the long term plan however because of the layout of the flat, although the water tank has gone, there are still some existing pipes! So even if it was taken out I'm not sure what I would be able to do!

Sponsored Links
Difficult to make everything out from that photo, but I'd be amazed if a lot of that pipework couldn't be tidied up and hidden behind a stub wall of some description, or possible even re-routed entirely, thus giving you the chance to lose the cupboard entirely. Might be worth getting a couple of plumbers around for their suggestions.

You could box in pipework with a stud wall , have access panel for any stop cock or relocate this.Ikea do a 60cm X 2.3mtr mirror or glass door for their wardrobes which would fit.Ikea probably do a wardrobe to fit you requirements.

Might be worth getting a couple of plumbers around for their suggestions.
..and see if they can re-route the pipework and stopcock. No harm in asking.

The people who have removed the tank and installed the boiler will have done just that and no more - it is unlikely that they will have made much effort to relocate the pipes unless this was stipilated/requested at the time; so don;t assume that it's not possible.

@JanK - Our company actually offers custom made doors and carcasses for kitchens and bedrooms. In other words, yes we can provide you made to measure wardrobes and deliver straight to your home.

If you go to our site, you can also find information on DIY fitters in your local area since we let our customers fix their furniture themselves.

First you'll need to choose the style and finish you want (for the wardrobe), then you can choose the size you need. After this, you'll receive a quote straight away. Another plus of choosing us is that all our products are at trade prices (even for regular individuals).

But you'll need to go to our website to see for yourself! Due to DIYNOT rules, I can't post any links but if you search for 'Diy Homefit' on Google, we'll be the first result you see.

I hope this helps! If you have any issues please PM me :)[/i]

I suspect made to measure wardrobe would be more expensive than rerouting the pipes. Get some quotes first, don't waste your money. I had a similar arrangement in one of the bedrooms - a narrow chimney breast, a hot water cylinder in a cupboard on one side, and a recess on the other side. The gas engineers installed the boiler and got rid of all the pipes. We knocked down the excess wall that stack out of the chimney breast, and put a built-in wardrobe on the whole wall (about 3 meters wide). Perhaps there are pictures somewhere in my albums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back