Fix Wardrobe to Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My new wardrobe should be arriving soom and its quite big, its got 6 doors w=271cm, H=225cm & D=63cm, talking to the salesman the base is in 2 bits, so each base will do 3 doors, the question is, do I need to fix it to the wall?

If I do, my thoughts on doing this are, get some battening the thickness of the skiting board + @5mm (this is because I am assuming the back will be hardboard and set back @5mm), fix that to the wall(there should be some down timers in that width, I have plasterborad walls), then put another Battern on the inside of the wardrobe, so that it makes a sandwich ( battern,hardboard back of wardrobe & batten).

What do we think?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
you need to keep in mind carpet grippers can throw the units forward

you should not fix tightly to the wall as the units arnt strong enough to support from the back
attachment to the back should be loose and allow a few mm travel before tightening to keep the weight on the floor

the only purpose off the straps are to stop tipping forward in unusual circumstances

Thanks big-all, I don't think that there are carpet grippers in that room, I think its felt backed carped held in place with the spray adhesive that they use.

Steve

Sponsored Links
25mm x 150mm x 3 and 6mm strips off mdf/ply/frame packers can be realy good at leaning tall units back
and if you push them just under the edges on the sides you wont see them as the carpet will spring up and cover the edge ;)

Mirror plates can be useful.
p1748240_l.jpg

Fix to the back of the carcass, rather than the back panel (out of sight at the top, say) and a screw into the wall studs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back