Cut nails

ATG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When salvaging old wood for the stove, all of the nails that I hammer out are cut nails. But some modern frames also come out with big cut nails in them. Are they better than round nails for some purposes? Seems that with their blunt end they are going to rip their way into the wood rather than go in smoothly. Are they dramatically cheaper than round nails?

ATG

Sponsored Links
Cut nail's are very good for pine flooring ,they don't split the wood because of the blunt end punches the wood through the board, unlike round or oval nails which split the fibres of wood ,but nailing proceedure needs a little more attention ,twisting the body of the nail if it goes a bit skewed.they also grip the joist very well,I havent bought cut nails for year's ,but used to be readily available in London

Victorian joiners used cut nails for almost everything. I've seen modern joiners almost stuck trying to remove Victorian door frames, held in with cut nails and timber wedges. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
yep ive hung off them with a wrecking bar totally destroyed the d/frame and the bloody thing still didnt move.
then you hit it twice each way with a hammer and it snaps amazing things aint they.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back