Wood plug dimensions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fit some skirting boards tonight. I have decided to screw rather than no nails. And also to counterbore the screw holes and then to cut angular wood plugs, glue and knock them in and then sand down. I think this will give me best finish as I wish to woodstain the skirting afterwards.

My query is, I do not have the wood plug cutting tool at the moment - being delivered tomorrow. But I still want to fix the skirting tonight. Does anyone know on the angular/chamfered wood plugs whether the dimension stated is the thinnest end of the plug or the fattest end? I'll then be able to counterbore the holes to correct thickness tonight.

I have ordered a set of plug cutters, a 6mm, 10mm, 13mm and 16mm.

Sponsored Links
Its an excelllant way for a good fit, used in all our offices [hardwood skirting].

Sponsored Links
remember to either have the grain of the plugs facing the same as the skirts them selves or at right angles to make a feature of them.

remember to either have the grain of the plugs facing the same as the skirts them selves or at right angles to make a feature of them.

You can even have them in contrasting wood if you mark them out carefully so that they look right. Depends on the room and so on of course. You can use them like that for lots of projects though. I have a clock in this room, turned for me by a friend in return for a pile of black walnut offcuts I gave him. The dial marks are ebony plugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back