Dowel or plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dining table where the table top has become stained and sanding hasn't cured this problem.
So one solution would be to turn the top over and use the underside. But the pedestal was screwed to the underside, leaving several screw holes.
The top is solid elm and there are no plugs or dowels in elm. Perhaps the closest wood is ash.
What would be the solution here?
I will have to drill out the holes, anyway, to take 6mm ash dowels, but these will be end grain plugs.
Or I drill out to either 8mm or 10mm and use oak or ash flat grain plugs.
I will be sanding back the underside to remove the lacquer....
IMG_0203.jpg

Sponsored Links
as you say plugs will probably look worse as end grain absorbs more unless you can fashion it to go with the grain
have a look at the very small knot with 2 dots ??

Just cut some plugs from the underside. You could get a good match for the grain if you can cut near to the back of the holes.

Sponsored Links
whilst i fully agree about "plugs from the back" you are reducing the option off plan "b" where resorting back to the front is better than trying to match the light and dark shadow lines fails or gives unsatisfactory results

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back