Fixing skirting with plugs - dark rings around plugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to fit some solid oak skirting using a screw digger and plug cutter - I've been able to cut the holes and screw the boards to the wall. The trouble is, when I did a test piece I fitted a plug and when I applied finishing oil (Colron) over the top of it I got a black ring show up around the plug! :S

Anyone got any ideas about this?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Sponsored Links
Try colron on the plug, and let it cure before fixing. Oil will always highlight deeper areas, gouges, scratches etc.

I reckon this is caused either by a ring of glue around the plug, or, more likely a slight burn mark from using the screw digger.

In your shoes I would get another test piece and try cutting the hole for the plug with various cutters, maybe a sharp flat bit, auger bit, etc. and see the results.

Steve :)

Sponsored Links
dont forget the tannin in oak will react with the steel in screws and possibly the countersink if theres any moisture/dampness and cause black
you should realy be using brass or stainless screws especialy if its damp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back