Can a drill act as a saw? (removing old doorway cover)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a room in my house which has a concrete wall. There apparently used to be a door in the wall, which led to the hallway next to the room. This section of the old doorway can be felt by knocking on the concrete wall, and then you hear a thin hollow wood sound for the area of the doorway. The entire wall is covered in paper.

I want to put a door back into this concrete wall, so I can exit the room straight into the hallway rather than go via the lounge. Can I use my regular (hammer) drill with a special tip to cut out this wooden panel blocking the old doorway? I'm not familiar with types of wood, but it doesn't sound too thick.

I'm hoping the old frame might still be intact inside, with which to insert a new door, indential with the doors in the house. (very cheap, from Wickes) Or else I'll hopefully buy a few long bits of wood and make a simple frame and nail it to whatever is currently there.

Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old doorway are not usually filled with concrete? to you mean blockwork?, how do you know whats there if covered with paper?

More likely to be plasterboard, but only by removing a bit in the "middle" of the required door area will you find out.
A drill bit is not suitable for sawing.
A stanley knife would cut through plasterboard, otherwise if it is wood you need a keyhole saw.

Sponsored Links
Take the bit between your teeth and hit the hollow part with a hammer, then pull off whatever it is that's covering the old doorway. Probably plasterboard. Should come away quite easily. The original doorframe could be there so go steady near the edges. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back