Covering an external doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently purchased a house. The previous owner had created a utility space in what would have been a wood frame and corrugated roof car port. It's now essentially a bolted on wooden extension. The brick work of the outer wall is exposed.

My wife wants to use the space for work, and would like a plasterer finish on the walls.

She doesn't want the current back door on show. Would it be possible to dot and dab the brick and fit plasterboard and cover/ conceal the doorway to the kitchen in the process. I've taken the door off the hinges but I don't want to remove the frame.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
At first glance it appears that you are creating a wind tunnel for heat loss - second glance isn't much better.
I'd suggest not to remove the frame.
Is the property secure with this door missing?

Could you post pics of the interior and the exterior - it would help?

Hi yes the property is secure with out the door, I essentially want to conceal the doorway from the outside. Put insulation in between the gap and then make the door way flush with the kitchen wall and extended the work top. I've been trying to remove the frame but I'm struggling

Thank you

Attachments

• 20150906_192523.jpg
    20150906_192523.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20150906_192536.jpg
    20150906_192536.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20150906_192543.jpg
    20150906_192543.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
No pics of the exterior of the car port or its roof - or how the car port roof is flashed to the house wall.
I understand a bit more what it is you propose - but believe me there are a number of possible difficulties in what you are doing.

To answer your question - yes, you could D&D the wall and construct a "stud" frame in the insulated doorway. One frame for the outer skin and one frame for the inner skin.

The PVC frame could be left in place ( only the head projects beyond the brick face).

Presumably the WC will be screened & compartmentalised off?

Down the road, if you attempt to sell then a retroactive Completion Cert. might be required. The structure would be called on any survey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back