Cut pressure treated timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used pressure treated timber to make some raised beds for vegetable growing. The garden is sloping so I'm now going to level them using timber cut at an angle. The 'cut' side of the timber will be in contact with the ground and I'm concerned about it rotting due to the pressure treated surface having been cut through.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem and if so how to alleviate it eg should I put a layer of plastic between the timber and the earth? I though about treating it with wood preservative but the timber is very wet and the preservative is not suitable for 'wood used for growing food'.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Yorky, i'm no expert, but i would've thought that the plastic would be as bad as contact with the soil... condensation etc... air is the best thing to keep it dry.
I made a number of raised beds a couple of years ago, and did nothing the the cut edges and so far they are as good as when they went in. I figured if and when they rot, i'll replace them... but i'm guessing that will be many years yet

Isn't the wood saturated by the preservative as part of the vacuum process, so even if you cut the edge there will still be preservative there? When I put raised beds in on a slope I dig the timber into the ground, which also helps to keep the improved soil in place instead of being washed away through the gap which would remain if you simply placed the timber on the surface.

exactly right. you dont need to worry. you can coat the ends with cuprinol etc.

Sponsored Links
You could also char them with a flame thrower or powerful blowlamp.

Hi
Contrary to some peoples beliefs ....the pressure treatment process does NOT totally impregnate the timber! ( cros cut a piece of treated timber and not the small ring of treatment around the perimeter )
Therefore you should treat all cut edges as untreated.

All good timber merchants should be able supply a cut egde preservative eg "Endseal" or "cut & Treat"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back