Cut Wires Coming Out Of Ceiling? Are These Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed a light fitting previously fitted by a qualified electrician. (I'm a rookie who knows the basics). Saw a couple of unidentified wires poking through and pulled them out to take a look. Is it ok to have these tucked up not far behind the wires I will be using for a light fitting? (Two dark ones either side of wires in WAGOs).
20190802_182456.jpg
20190802_182505.jpg

Have been tucked in previously like this:

20190802_182531.jpg

Previous electrician didn't seem bothered...or maybe he didn't notice? Which is hard to believe...Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (That one Earth has two copper wires inside of it).

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say from here but I very much doubt they are anything but old wires that have been replaced.
Do you have a multimeter?

"(That one Earth has two copper wires inside of it)"

An interesting interpretation.
They are two earth wires (one from each cable) in a piece of sleeving.

Impossible to say from here but I very much doubt they are anything but old wires that have been replaced.
Do you have a multimeter?

"(That one Earth has two copper wires inside of it)"

An interesting interpretation.
They are two earth wires (one from each cable) in a piece of sleeving.

That's what I meant, sorry...Two earths in some sleeving. Just to reiterate - rookie level here.
I have a multimeter yes. As you said, they must be old wires if the electrician wasn't fussed about them. :)

Sponsored Links
I have a multimeter yes. As you said, they must be old wires if the electrician wasn't fussed about them. :)

Power OFF. Light switch ON.

Set meter to low ohms, and see if there is continuity between each old wire and any of the new wires - E, N and L, and between the two old wires themselves.

If no continuity between anything, I would connect the two old wires in a connector block.
To be extra safe you could connect them to the earth wires.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back