Two ceiling lights controlled by Two way Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I had one ceiling light previously controlled by two way switches on either end of the lounge. We recently had to get some renovation work done which involved putting up a new ceiling. The electrician who came round installed the wiring to control two ceiling flush lights(new wiring for these lights - wires hanging down from the ceiling lights not installed yet). One wire from one hole in the ceiling(2 core + earth) and two wires (twin core + earth) from the other hole. One of the wires int he second hole is just the other end of the wire hanging out from the first hole. The old wiring was a WHITE sleeve wiring. One of the old two way switch is still hanging out of the wall with three wires; our of which two(Red+black) are connected and a green wire is just hanging out. On the other end where the second two way switcch used to be there is a 3core + earth cable in place.

I am not clear why he didn't put 3core + earth on both sides. The contractor doing the renovation work walked away with the money and didn't pay the electrician and i cant afford to pay him again. SO need to get this done in the right way. I understand the basics of electricity to some extent. I can do with som expert help. We are currently using halogen portable lamp to illuminate the lounge.

Look forward to some useful comments.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Can you post pictures of all wiring at ceiling and switch positions?

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

A good starting point is

//wiki.diynot.com/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

as there are more than one way to wire a two way circuit.

s_rashid said:
One of the old two way switch is still hanging out of the wall with three wires; our of which two(Red+black) are connected and a green wire is just hanging out.

On the other end where the second two way switch used to be there is a 3core + earth cable in place.

Is this cable a new one? If so it should be the new colours, brown/blue - or could this be an existing cable from the old setup? What colours are the other cables in the ceiling?

s_rashid said:
I am not clear why he didn't put 3core + earth on both sides.

To get a functioning two way circuit you will certainly need to have a 3 core & earth at the 1st switch - and perhaps a twin core and earth too, depending on how it is wired.

Some pictures/diagrams would help, but if not then a description of the cable cores/colours at each lighting point would be useful. Also if you have a multimeter you could try to determine where the other end of the cable in the ceiling goes to.

I presume none of this is live?
:eek:

Regards

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back