Cutting a Doorway Close to Elec and Gas Pipe, bad idea?

Sponsored Links
The arc in a shorted cable fed from a 200 Amp fuse will be creating about 50 kW of heat as the cable burns.

can be quite spectacular, like a roman candle, and continue burning the cable away until somebody interrupts the supply.

i saw a report of a supply up the side of a sub-post office that had been rendered over so not visible. a sign fitter put his drill into it.

These cables are contorted into whatever shape the power guys want them to be

It is probably second nature to the power guys that cables cannot be bent too sharply, to the casual observer they may seem to be contorting the cable.

Sponsored Links
Especially cables like mine are 50 years old. I guess the material dries up and is more prone to cracking if bent?

I am just adding to this so if anyone reads in the future they know what to expect.

The subcontractor for the DNO has been out twice.

Visit 1. There were two guys, one older and one younger. I asked if the entire board could be moved 500mm left under the consumer unit. Older guy said it could be. He looked at the cable and said the condition looks fine even though it's likely the same cable when the house was built 50 years ago. The younger one wasn't sure and they both agreed to phone their boss to find out. The boss said no the board cannot be moved as the cable cannot be under a doorway, even though it will be under a suspended timber floor. So they sent me a quote for £1K to dig a trench, install a new cable and put the board under the CU.

Visit 2. Only the younger guy visited this time, I proposed a narrower doorway so the cable would not be underneath the doorway. I asked if the board could be moved under the CU. He said no because they do not know how old the wire is and because they work live there is a risk the cable might pop if its moved. I then asked if the board can be moved 90mm to the left to move the cable out of my way a little when I cut the doorway. He said he's not sure, will need to ask the boss and get back to me.

In visit 2 the guy told me that his boss told him that if they spot I have moved the board myself I must be reported. So warning to everyone, once you involve the DNO they will take photos for future proof if you move the board yourself.

In summary. It completely depends who you get as your DNO engineer. Could be a guy who moves anything, could be a person who won't move it without digging a trench.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back