Routing gas pipes to fire in lounge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am NOT a registered gas fitter and I will NOT be touching anything to do with the pipe work.
The gas man has cut off my gas fire because he has detected a leak in the 60 year old pipe buried in the concrete floor of the lounge. He said that he would approve a new pipe that could go up the wall, under the floor-boards in the bedroom and down the lounge wall.
At this stage I am mainly looking at planning the route and the boxing of any exposed pipe work. I want to make the boxing as inconspicuous as possible.
What size pipe would be used for the supply to the fire?
Can it be run touching the wall or must it be on stand-off clips?
Are there regulations regarding distance between clips?
There may be more questions later but any help and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Witrhout knowing the distance or the power of the fire then we cannot tell you.

Generally 10 mm up to about 5-10 m and 15 mm from 5-25 m.

But surely you should be asking you gas installer?

Pipes need to be clipped at different distances on vertical and horizontal runs.

Very odd questions to ask if an RGI will really be doing the job ???

However many times you say you will not be doing it asking those questions makes it look otherwise!

What sort of walls do you have, and is the room stripped (or to be stripped) down to plaster level. In which case some or all of the pipework could be hidden within the plaster itself.

Sponsored Links
Definitely not doing the job Agile. Wife would go mad!
My installer is waiting for parts for the gas fire he has just serviced and will not be getting back to me until he gets them. So I'm about to pull back the bedroom carpet to see which way the joist run. The distance between clips was to determine how many floor boards I would have to lift.
Do not intend to re-decorate. But could make a small "side extension" to the chimney breast with the boxing and similar on the supporting wall in the hallway. If so, the mods would look invisible and wouldn't take me long to complete.
The pipe run would be about 13 metres but the fire is a Kinder Oasis and my installer says it has a maximum output of approx. 7Kw. Would he need to fit 22mm pipe to get that sort of output. I know the Combi boiler (fitted 3 years ago) needed the pipe work up graded from 15mm to 22mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back