gas pipe size

ha007 said:
Firstly thanks for your input.
IF you had read the posts you would see that I said he was Corgi registered as I do have the common sence to check these things first!

I also resent your implication that homeowners want to have things done on the cheap.
I take all transactions with builders and tradesmen very seriously, especially Gas, and dont use cowboys.

You also stated in your post that the upsize would be at his own cost.
Then you go on to say.. thats going to be very expensive in your case. How come????

ha007

Don't take offence with Tony, we're all used to the way he speaks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Very few householders do bother to independently check. I am asked to show my photocard about once every 18 months.

I do have to say that I would be very surprised if he has so wrongly fitted a boiler if he really is registered.

If you are convinced he is registered, and remember some people steal others registration details, and the telephone number you call matches the one on the CORGI site then report him after doing the test!

Turn on one burner on the hob and see if the flame size changes as the boiler is switched on and off. If you can see a change then the pipe is undersized. If its a big change then it might be dangerous!

If homeowners didn't want to have things done on the cheap then why are so many unregistered East Europeans fitting gas appliances? Perhaps you dont but most others do get the cheapest job they can.

It will be expensive to correct because copper tube is expensive and digging up and reinstating your concrete floor is quite a big job!

Tony

Thanks for the reply.

If that is his bedside manner then no wonder he has the time to post such replies instead of being busy with customers.

We, the general public put our trust in the experts. We only start to question when things go wrong. We all make mistakes from time to time but surely this is a fundemntal excersise of doing the maths before you start a job and not to 'wing it' as mentioned in previous posts.

There are engineers out there, in all trades, that let the side down but we hope it never happens to us.
Maybe this time it has happened. How are we supposed to know without turning it into the spanish inquasition.

I value your help and thank you again for your reply

ha007

ha007 said:
We all make mistakes from time to time but surely this is a fundemntal excersise of doing the maths before you start a job

It would be immediately obvious to any slightly experienced CORGI registered person that its not going to be possible to correctly fit a boiler to a 15 mm gas supply pipe.

Nearly all CORGIs will also know that they have to bring it up to the correct standard if CORGI serve a defects notice on them. Thats why I would be surprised if he really is registered.

All the indications are that either he is not registered or he is a complete cowboy chancer who thinks that he is going to get away with it. I hope he does not !

I really would be grateful if you would do that simple test please to see just how bad it really is.

He should also have filled in the Benchmark Certificate and advised CORGI who will write to you confirming he is registered. Did he?

Tony

Sponsored Links
My one and only bit of advice on this.... Just phone up CORGI (0800 915 0485) and speak to them.

If you get in a second opinion; you could be just throwing money down the drain by paying a second engineer to just "look-it-over"....

If you contact CORGI; which is what I pay my registration fees for - They will come out and inspect the job; ensuring it is upto standard and legal - If not; they will advise you and; where needed the installer to sort it out without beating around the bush.

Don't worry about the CORGI guy or getting anyone into trouble - I had a complaint a few weeks back that I found out about from my local inspector because I swore in their house when I dropped the old boiler onto my hand; of course; not a real complaint; but at the end of the day - Your complaint will be dealt with like any other - That's why you pay to have CORGI'd guys and could pay a lot more with non-CORGI's.

gas4you said:
As there are 3 appliances the pipe work length would have to be tripled in the calculations so each appliance would get a 0.33mB drop, totaling the 1mB that Tony mentioned.
I don't know where you get "tripling" the pipe length from. It's just a matter of adding the inputs of appliances together for the sections of pipework they share. It doesn't matter what the pressure drop on any particular section of pipework is providing the total pressure drop for each appliance is no more than 1 mbar (not 0.33 mbar).

The CORGI bod that fitted my new boiler last Saturday refused to use my 15 mm gas feed and installed a new 22mm gas feed. The boiler is the only gas appliance in this house!

not all boilers require 20mb working pressure so it's kind of misleading to tell customers to check the logbook and report their installer if it's not 20mb.

markplumb said:
not all boilers require 20mb working pressure so it's kind of misleading to tell customers to check the logbook and report their installer if it's not 20mb.

Maybe, but within the CORGI criteria the supply at the boiler at full power must match BOTH of the following:-

Pressure over 18 mB

AND

Pressure loss within pipe not more than 1 mB.

Most boiler makers specify an inlet pressure exceeding 18 mB but a few ask for or expect 20 mB.

Tony

chrishutt said:
gas4you said:
As there are 3 appliances the pipe work length would have to be tripled in the calculations so each appliance would get a 0.33mB drop, totaling the 1mB that Tony mentioned.
I don't know where you get "tripling" the pipe length from. It's just a matter of adding the inputs of appliances together for the sections of pipework they share. It doesn't matter what the pressure drop on any particular section of pipework is providing the total pressure drop for each appliance is no more than 1 mbar (not 0.33 mbar).

Basic pipe sizing as set out in your books. If you have 3 appliances pulling at the gas then each one can only have a 1/3rd drop withinh the same bit of pipe, but will total a 1mB drop at each appliance.

Like wise if you have 2 appliances then you double the length for that section that supplies both.

I think that you may be over simplyfing that Dave.

Without trying to understand the exact wording it seems you might have assumed all three appliance all have the same power consumption.

If one is 8 kW and the others are both 1 kW each then where would 1/3 come in to the equation ???

Tony

Yes I agree Tony (and Chris after re-reading your reply) that different KW rating of each appliance needs to be factored into the equation for accurate pipe sizing.

I was 'oversimplfying' it for the OP rather than telling him how to calculate it exactly.

But even if they are all different power ratings, if you have 3 appliances then the calculations would need to result in each appliance using 1/3rd of the pressure drop, so when and if all 3 are on together the resulting drop over the entire carcass is only 1mB.

Perhaps I am not being very good at communicating what I mean, but it is clearly worded in our canine gas safety manual in the pipe sizing section.

Hi All

Thanks again for all your input. There seems to be some confusion over what is needed, even to a layman like myself.

I will call Corgi in and get it checked then post a reply accordingly.

Hope this hasnt openend up a can of worms?????

regards
ha007

Not your problem if it has!

If your installer had fitted everything to regs then you would not be in this horrible position. You paid for a legit job, you need to get your money's worth.

If any of us on here had made a genuine mistake on an installation, we would go back and sort it for the customer asap, not say it is down to manufacturer :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back