gas pipe size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Hope someone can help.
If a gas installer cannot see the size of pipe feeding a gas cooker in the kitchen but then runs a t off the 15mm pipe that is visible by only a few feet to install a new gas ch system, what should he do to make sure the pipe is the right size for the 2 feeds?

Heres the situation.
Gas meter on front wall of house. Gas fire in lounge, 10ft from meter. Gas pipe goes under concrete floor another 30 ft into kitchen. 15mm pipe comes up from floor to gas cooker point. There is only a few feet of 15mm visible. This has been t off to supply new ch boiler runing 7 small rads no hot water.
Boiler seems to stuggle when all 3 gas appiances are on.
Pressure??

Any ideas please. I thing I've got a problem with the gas installer.

Regards

ha007

Sponsored Links
ha007 said:
I think I've got a problem with the gas installer.
You certainly have. Is he Corgi registered? You need to ditch him in favour of someone competent who would be able to answer all the questions you ask.

what should i do and what written tests should have had.

:?:

Sponsored Links
sorry, my 2nd post should have read' what written tests should i have had from him. all i have is the comissioning card

If the 'commissioning card' says 'Benchmark' on it, there should be a box for gas working pressure.

If there's nothing in the box, it's not filled in properly!
If it says '20' and the boiler is 'struggling' because of lack of gas pressure, the 20 is a lie!

Either way, your initial issue is with the installer. Sounds like he thought he could wing it on the existing gas run and it turns out not to be the case!

If you've already paid him and have the benchmark logbook with his Corgi number I'd call him and ask him to return and sort out the issues you have.

If you're not happy with what he tells you then say so and inform him that you will get a second opinion (from another Corgi) and if the installation is found to be inconsistent with current regs then you will complain to Corgi about his work.

You need to give the guy a chance to resolve your concerns first though ;)

thanks for the replies.
asked him to go back. he wont. says its up to the manufacturer.

If you were unable to ascertain the diameter of the pipe, what tests would you do to ensure the size pipe was correct if you could not see it. Would you connect to whats there or would you put in a new pipe of the right size? What do the regs say?

Thanks ha007

ha007 said:
thanks for the replies.
asked him to go back. he wont. says its up to the manufacturer.

If you were unable to ascertain the diameter of the pipe, what tests would you do to ensure the size pipe was correct if you could not see it. Would you connect to whats there or would you put in a new pipe of the right size? What do the regs say?

Thanks ha007

I would advise that you contact another RGI to run his eye over it and test it

and if it (which it most probably is) undersized get on the phone to CORGI with the other blokes report and get the to hammer the guy.

It sounds as if he is not CORGI registered ! If you have employed somebody who is unregistered then you only have yourself to blame!

If he is registered and the pipe is undersized then CORGI will serve a defects notice on him and require him to upsize the pipe at his own cost! Thats going to be very expensive in your case!

The simple test for an RGI is to run the boiler at full power and measure the pressure at the meter ( 21 mB ) and then measure at the boiler input with the fire and cooker on full then that should be within 1 mB less than at the meter.

There is a simple test you can do yourself though.

Turn on one burner on the hob and see if the flame size changes as the boiler is switched on and off. If you can see a change then the pipe is undersized. If its a big change then it might be dangerous!

If you emailed me with the installers name and town then I would check for you to see if he is registered. I doubt it !

This is a common problem because householders either want a cheap unregistered job or dont take simple precautions to check a CORGI registration.

Tony

He should have worked out the gas need for all 3 appliances before starting the boiler installation. If it was a very small boiler ie 12Kw, the 10M of 15mm would be asking a bit much if it were the only appliance on the supply.

As there are 3 appliances the pipe work length would have to be tripled in the calculations so each appliance would get a 0.33mB drop, totaling the 1mB that Tony mentioned.

Even the above paragraph is only approximate with being there and seeing for one self.

If you call out manufacturers they could charge you for the call out for no fault found. This could be around £150 -£175 :eek:

Insist he comes back or call CORGI. He should be the one placing the warranty call out anyway. I always do for my customers, after I visit first to have a look at the problem.

gas4you said:
As there are 3 appliances the pipe work length would have to be tripled in the calculations so each appliance would get a 0.33mbar drop, totaling the 1Mbar that Tony mentioned.

Just in case CORGI read this I want to make it clear that I said mB ( millebar ) and NOT megabar ( Mbar or rather MBar) !

Tony

Firstly thanks for your input.
IF you had read the posts you would see that I said he was Corgi registered as I do have the common sence to check these things first!

I also resent your implication that homeowners want to have things done on the cheap.
I take all transactions with builders and tradesmen very seriously, especially Gas, and dont use cowboys.

You also stated in your post that the upsize would be at his own cost.
Then you go on to say.. thats going to be very expensive in your case. How come????

ha007

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back