Should electric cable be so close to a gas pipe in stud wall?

Sponsored Links
Anything that can insulate the pipework from a voltage in the region of 250V.

I'm sorry, but I'm still clueless :) Please forgive me as I am not in the building trade.

I can see that the yellow tape does not conduct electricity, and the grey plastic on the cable would insulate the wire. That's the extent of my knowledge.

If the plumber were to say "it's not finished yet", what exactly would he use as this 'electrical insulated material'.

There must be a 25mm gap between the cable and the pipe.

There must be 150mm from the pipe and any switchgear.

The whole thing looks schit.

The pipe doesn't meet even the old British Standard let alone the new one.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm still clueless :) Please forgive me as I am not in the building trade.

Nothing to be sorry about!

I can see that the yellow tape does not conduct electricity, and the grey plastic on the cable would insulate the wire. That's the extent of my knowledge.
Well the yellow tape is electricians tape, and is only really used as identifying cores not as an insulator.
If the plumber were to say "it's not finished yet", what exactly would he use as this 'electrical insulated material'.
Electrical separations would be the ideal step to take, but plastic containment like conduit or trunking would do the job.
There also concerns that the electrician has not performed their tasks that well either. As the cables have not been support and there seems to be evidence of cables routed outside the safe zones (Assuming they are positioned closer than 50mm to either wall surface?)

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links
There also concerns that the electrician has not performed their tasks that well either. As the cables have not been support and there seems to be evidence of cables routed outside the safe zones (Assuming they are positioned closer than 50mm to either wall surface?)

Oh god, don't get me started on safe zones! :( I am going to have to rant now .... (you have been warned)

I brought up safe zones to the architect/project manager after I posted my first question on this forum here and there were lots of comments about safe zones: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-electrical-cables-in-wall-not-in-conduit.462110/

The response from him was along the lines of: "he's a good electrician, and it's close enough. Don't worry, he'll sign off the work as he is qualified."

What can I do if the person who signs off the work is the one who has done the questionable work in the first place?!? Of course he wont not sign off his work. Catch-22.

I am a bit frustrated here because you folks have a lot of knowledge about what is right and wrong, and I have learnt so much from you (I am grateful). But as a paying customer I feel there is nothing I can do to hold the electrician and plumber to account. They sign of their own work.

Sorry about that rant. I'll shut up now. (Thanks for listening.)

You need to raise your concerns in writing. then if they don't respond contact their registration body (sparks have several so you need to know the one they're registered with). Gas Safe is the only one for Gas work.

Explain that is the last resort but your concerns are compelling you to act. I suspect that the mere asking for contact details of the registration body will either sharpen their senses, or cause a downing of tools... Neither is a bad outcome if it means the work is done right.

Ultimately, you're paying for the work - so it is to be done to your satisfaction.

I've redone work in the past when the customer wasn't happy. We've all made mistakes.

As above the electrician will be (or should be!) a member of a scheme provider if they are self notifying the work (Notification is different to self certification).
Notification is provided to building controls and only scheme members can do this. http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
Just about anybody with the knowledge of filling the electrical certificate can fill the certificate in, they don't even have to be a qualified or registered electrician.
So don't get confused the electrical certificate is different from the notification compliance notice.

So your concerns can be raised with the electricians scheme provider, they do
have a complaints procedure.

But your other option is to address your concerns with building controls as the installation does not comply to BS7671, which building regulation part P does ask this standard to be complied to.

I would also be having harsh words with the architect, they are letting you down regarding the standard and the compliance of the work.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
I would also like to add, if the architect thinks it is OK, for the electrician to sign off the work and lie on their documentation, then someone wants to have a serious word with them!

And if the architect considers the electrician as a good one, they would not expect them to lie and the architect really needs to raise their standards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back