Wall-Hanging Basin Support Needed [Bracket] in SE5

Why are you stating imperial sizes as opposed to metric??

Quite correctly, because I was quoting the traditional sizes which were used at that time.

When timber was metricated, strangely the stock sizes suddenly became smaller!

Sponsored Links
Quite correctly, because I was quoting the traditional sizes which were used at that time.

When timber was metricated, strangely the stock sizes suddenly became smaller!
Where has the OP mentioned date of build?..or rather the size of timbers used?
I'm not sure that you should be giving advise considering the questions you were asking in the CC regarding "how to fix a boiler to a stud wall"...

That's one hell of a weight.....how about a timber frame beneath, making it into a cupboard at the same time? A sort of DIY vanity unit, so to speak?
John :)

could also be called a belfast sink but going by the moulding from below it looks like it might have a side and back shelf, so maybe its a Laufen special

Again though @LondonerCOOPS, it is currently using basin mounting studs and plastic nuts (fischer is one type yup) - should also have steel nuts but there wasn't enough thread by the looks of it.
images

this suggests that there is at least some part of the wall that is solid and therefore normal solid wall fixing could be the way to go. Get in there with a drill and see what you've got, once you've done Tay's checks.

Sponsored Links
I was referring to lath and plaster which was used on 4x2 timber before metrification.
Lath was affixed to various size timbers , 8x2/7x2/3x2/2x2... 4x2 timber was mostly used for suspended flooring whereby the 4x2 was affixed to a timber plate which in turn was supported via 'dwarf' walls.
Hang the shovel up Tony as most are aware of your limitations.

You can't be sure what the walls are made from by tapping alone.

Your description of sounding hollow in places but solid in others might be dot and dab too.

Whats the other side of the wall? Is there any sockets/switches you could remove to look into the wall? Failing that, drill a narrow pilot hole.

I'd be suprised if thats a stud wall.

Dear all, thanks for all this input and sorry for the delay and any confusion.

Just had it confirmed that it is a brick wall.

The ones I linked to are strengthened brackets so they need to be secured to the wall nice and tight. As a lot of the weight is transferred into a push against the wall by the diagonal they can carry more weight. The ones you linked to are different as they are half height brackets so the anchors need to be a bit more sturdy as there would be more weight pushing down and pulling away rather that down and against.

If it's a gyproc wall then use gravity or spring toggles or screw to the studs, if it's a solid wall then I'd use large blue rawplugs with the right size of screw.
I think I'd like to buy these but there was no link, only a picture. I have done a web search but turned up nothing.

Could you direct me to this or a similar item, please?

Just go searching for 'full sized ornate sink brackets' L, you'll find loads. Just take the depth measurement of your basin and match that up with the bracket dimensions (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back