Hanging a heavy basin on a stud wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We plan to buy a Rosco Quinta basin: http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/...115&subTypeID=2023&rangeid=31172&brandid=2443

This will be hung on an internal stud wall. I plan to add some vertical noggins well fixed in the studding to spead the weight vertically and I expect this model of basin will also come with a side fixing hole, which is one of the reasons why we have chosen it.

It weighs 21 kgs - do you think this will be enough to support it without sagging and how would you fix it to the studding? My preference is lengths of threaded rod with dome headed nuts on steel then nylon washers; I have hung two pans and two basins on straight walls so far and none has moved after 4 years. However the pans have both been on robust stud frames I have built bolted to the wall with no contact with the floor, so as to reduce sound transmission; this will be the first time I have hung so much weight on an existing studded wall so I need to get it right.

Sponsored Links
What is the finish to the wall going to be? If you are tiling then you can cut out a large section of the plaserboard, reinforce the studs with noggins at fixing points then recover with ply of the same thickness as the pb. Very firm and it lasts.

Thanks. The plasterboard is already off the entire wall for the plumbing and to add sound insulation and electrics for heated mirror and shaver. We plan to re-board and skim then I suppose we will have to do a tiled splashback because we want wall-mounted taps to keep the deck clear.

In my last bathroom project I did a glass splashback, etched then painted on the back and glued to the wall, whick works pretty well and looks great. I wonder if my glass merchant would be able to cut a hole in the glass so that we could have the taps wall-mounted through the splashback? How do professionals do this kind of thing?

Sponsored Links
Loads of 4x2 horizontal noggins is best, then a ply front.

It probably uses Fischer bolts.

Glass splashbacks look nice, but do consider how you intend to tighten the taps without breaking the glass, you also need rear access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back