Plywood, Osb & Plasterboard vs Home Cinema

Sponsored Links
this time just screw the 45mm wood screws in.

What did you do to them before if you didn’t “just screw them in”?

How much unthreaded shank do these 45mm screws have?

They look a bit thin to me.

If hanging a 40" tv on ply, which I do a lot, about four screws and washers put in with a cordless drill works fine for me. I think I could easily hang myself off a bracket that way

Use twin threaded screws and decent washers and it shouldn't get loose.
I think osb might be slightly more likely to strip out but with care it should be fine

TVs are getting a lot lighter every year. I hung a plasma (50) last week that was maybe 5 years old and it was a two person lift whereas the next one was an LCD that weighed almost nothing

Are you sure that bracket is the right way round?

Hi Tigercubrider.

The bracket is definitely the correct way round. It's not a normal bracket and is as per the images I posted in the first post. It's a bit of a difficult mount, but it's the official one for the TV and other than being slightly more difficult to fit than the run of the mill TV brackets, it's the best one for the TV.

What did you do to them before if you didn’t “just screw them in”?

How much unthreaded shank do these 45mm screws have?

They look a bit thin to me.

Hi endecotp,

I think I was a bit unclear.

The 4x45mm were screwed straight into the plasterboard & OSB with a washer. If I try screwing these, they continue to spin.

For the 6x120mm, I drilled a 3mm pilot hole then drilled the screw into the wall which is Plasterboard/ 20mm baton/ Wooden Stud these don't move.

I have to attach an identical bracket about 3 inches beneath the one already affixed. I'm going to be using the same method to screw to the studs, but want some advice on the smaller screws.

If you look at the picture of the bracket, the screws without washers are directly in the studs.

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
image.jpg

I’ve just tried an experiment with a 4x50mm screw into a piece of plasterboard and OSB, and it’s solid. No spinning. See photo.

Is it possible that the screws have gone through the plasterboard and then just pushed the OSB away?

View attachment 145809

I’ve just tried an experiment with a 4x50mm screw into a piece of plasterboard and OSB, and it’s solid. No spinning. See photo.

Is it possible that the screws have gone through the plasterboard and then just pushed the OSB away?

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to do that and upload a photo.

Directly underneath this bracket, I have cut a square to allow for cable access. I can access a part of the plasterboard/ ply and have tried screwing into that, and it still spins.

I'm at a loss as to what has happened. I'm going to have a look this weekend then will report back.

Thanks for all your help so far!

What are you using to screw? An impact driver set to a high torque setting?

It soesn’t matter how slowly you do it if you don’t stop when you should!
Try again and use the torque settings. It should be just enough to make it tight but no more.
Having said that, I’ve gone back to the screw in the picture and tried my driver’s drill setting and it jumps out rather than stripping the hole.
Perhaps your OSB is more crumbly than mine.

I would use the screw setting, use short pulses to drive the screw in, not one long blast

The tv will hide any practice attempts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back