Cutting a hole in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm going to be changing a ceiling soon and fitting down lights in my new ceiling. I'll be taking the existing ceiling down and putting the new ceiling up, I'll be getting it plastered by a pro. My question is, do I cut the holes for the down lights before or after it's plastered?

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
If you know where they are, marked on a sketch, you can do them afterwards and this will make it easier for the spread.

Best thing is to ask the man who is doing it.

Sponsored Links
Not any safety issue that I am aware of, just easier for the plasterer , but makes no difference to the final job.

If they are cut out before, always handy to dampen the exposed plasterboard edge inside the holes to stop bits of plaster drying out and dragging

Not any safety issue that I am aware of, just easier for the plasterer , but makes no difference to the final job.

If they are cut out before, always handy to dampen the exposed plasterboard edge inside the holes to stop bits of plaster drying out and dragging
holes for spotlights is no problem at all as far as I'm concerned Mich think this is first time I've disagreed with you, but things like servis hatches are a pain because they put the frame in and you have to skim up and round them but with holes you just skim over them as though they wasent there almost no problem at all as long as the wires are tucked up tight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back