How long to wait before cutting holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

i am having ceiling replaced with new plasterboard after some water damage, we have 3 ceilings to come down tounge and grove on top of plasterboard on top of laff and plater, over the years this looks like it has lowered the ceiling by 150MM so finally got the chance to rip it all down before new kitchen arrives and re position some downlights

my question is how long will i need to wait before cutting new holes for the lights

Thanks

Brett

Sponsored Links
Assuming you mean after plastering :!: I’ve put boards up & cut holes before I’ve skimmed (it’s easy to clean out the holes as you go) & I’ve also cut holes the day after skimming; makes no real difference as long as the skim has gone off.

Make sure you run the new cables before the boards go up though & if you use terminal boxes inside the ceiling, they must be accessible; choc boxes are usually the only ones you can get through small light holes. Remember, Building Regs. (Part P) restricts what electrical work you can undertake under DIY without notification.

yes after plastering, i hoped i could cut holes before but my plasterer said he would rather i didn't, he is my cousin and is doing me a favor, so i am just trying to work out how long on average it should take to go off so i can make some other lighting arrangements if i need to

Brett

I cant see what the deal is, it's easier electrical wise to cut the holes first and I havent had any problems skimming lids with holes in them, it's certainly easier than skimming around cables for pendants.

Sponsored Links
had a word this morning and he is happy for me to cut the holes first which is good for me now i can get all electrics done before he arrives and dont have to get sparky back afterwards

should all be complete buy sunday afternoon

happy days

thanks for advise

Brett

cut the holes out after :eek:

1: you end up dragging dry **** across the ceiling from the raw edges of the holes
2: it falls in your eye or down your arm
3: it drops out of the hole, spashes on your stilts or worse hits a scaffold board and splatters the wall

bloody sparkies, tuck the wires up, draw a quick plan and chalk a nice straight line once its skimmed

jobs all done, i did cut the holes last night they are only 60mm so i wast so bad today when skimming, thanks for all advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back