Plaster after or before downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Silly question but I am about to replace my kitchen ceiling with new plasterboard, should I cut the holes for the downlighters before I have it plastered or wait till it is and then cut them?

Sponsored Links
Either or ether makes no difference as long as you remember where your wires are ;)

cut them after!!

make a note of where the cables are AND the joist locations. skim the ceiling then cut your holes and fish the wires out.

Got a great tip the other day from an electrician, and it works a treat. Once the holes for downlighters have been cut out in the plasterboard, get some pva on your finger mixed with a drop of plaster and smear it all around the exposed cut edge of the hole in the board. When it's set, you can then take the downlighters out any time without the plasterboard edge crumbling away...... Apologies to anyone who has known about this for years!!!

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Got a great tip the other day from an electrician, and it works a treat. Once the holes for downlighters have been cut out in the plasterboard, get some pva on your finger mixed with a drop of plaster and smear it all around the exposed cut edge of the hole in the board. When it's set, you can then take the downlighters out any time without the plasterboard edge crumbling away...... Apologies to anyone who has known about this for years!!!

Roughcaster.
Blimey, sounds like there really are some sparks that actually know something about plastering! :LOL:

Thanks for the replies guys, I like the PVA and plaster trick on the holes I will use that.

Just need a plasterer now

:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back