cutting a roof plate

M

marsaday

I hope you can tell what i intend to do using the pics posted.

i have to bolt a channel beam either side of the truss joist going into the wall. This will form my main beam on which i can hang my new floor off.

However, the C beam sits 3" higher than the truss and needs to fit into the wall. You will see the roofs wall plate is in the way. i have been told it is ok to just cut this section out (about 5" wide). i can then plate the sections to rejoin them.

Does that sound reasonable ? What problems may i have.

This is what i have been told to do by the engineer.

View media item 19493 View media item 19495

Sponsored Links
not sure why you're questioning your engineer.i go to them for adviceand then do as they tell me.

Yes, but some on here have seen problems like this and suggest what they have done to resolve issues like this. just being cautious.

Will be ok, just get a right angle bracket or whatever onto either side of the wallplate once the beam is installed.

What did he say about cutting the channels?

Sponsored Links
cheers deluks.

Well he said not to do it :(

i have spoken to my mate who is going to help me (he's a builder).

He has a telecaster machine and so we will pass it through the roof straight into the room. along side the truss. We will then slide it into its place. Apparently moving steel like this is quite easy and so he reckons just the 2 of us can do it. i will probably get a third hand on site though.

The engineer said this construction will leave the existing triangulation structure 5% weaker/stronger, not sure which way though

Also the existing structure probably could take the new loads going on it as the timber is 100 yrs old and so very strong. However, getting it past BC would be difficult.

Also it sounds like i will need to get the steels drilled in the factory as very difficult to do on site.

I can't see why you can't cut the beams and get them reinforced with plate. Bolting beams together is done all the time in loft conversions, maybe he just can't be arsed to do the calcs?

Drilling on site is easy. 18v cordless or corded drill and a Bosch progressor holesaw, I would imagine you'd need 12mm or 16mm bits, or a combo of the two. Each hole will just take a few minutes.
Yes you can get it pre-drilled but you will be charged extra.

Telecaster sounds good, is your mate Keith Richards ;)

i wish he was! All those parties.

Well it is a tele something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back