Cutting and Sealing Kitchen End Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks ,
I am installing a cooke and lewis kitchen . The end panels which attach to the base unit sides are designed to be cut back on height .

Ive been told that where possible , cut the excess from the top , to stop water ingress as they are lined chipboard .

However , in one area the floor is out of level , so I think it`ll be better to remove the excess from the bottom .

Whats the best way to seal them , to stop water getting in , and any tips on cutting would be a good help . Ive got a circular saw , hand saw , and jigsaw .

Thanks , :D

Sponsored Links
Foil tape [as used for pipe lagging] is very tough easy way to seal the bottom of panel, cut with circular saw and sand smooth, apply tape starting on exposed outside edge and about 4-5mm up, wrap around to rear. Once installed seal with silicon to floor [this will hide thin edge of exposed tape.]

cheers foxhole - much appreciated:)

Ive got some of that tape , but I`d prefer something less visible if possible . Would PVA or similar be any good ?

In the past I have painted the cut ends - including cut-outs in worktops -with silicone sealant. Use an old paintbrush (or one from a pound shop multipack) which you can throw away afterwards and paint the silicone on liberally. I've never had water ingress problems using this method.

Sponsored Links
cheers foxhole - much appreciated:)

Ive got some of that tape , but I`d prefer something less visible if possible . Would PVA or similar be any good ?

I've used waterproof PVA successfully for this purpose.

I would smear silicone, as Stephen suggests, over cut edge and then silicone along floor surface once installed. Obviously depending on what the floor surface is though.

Alternatively you can get clear plastic strips that are designed to fit onto the bottom of kickboards etc. Howdens supply them with their kickboards but may be able to supply them separately. These can be siliconed onto the cut edge, which will seal them good and proper and also lift the cut end around 2mm off the floor.

re cutting; you can get specific jigsaw blades designed to cut without chipping the edges. Bosch TRF-101-AO springs to mind as the product code possibly. Check whether you need bayonet or trad fitting blades.

Thanks - Ive got some of the plastic trim with the kick boards , so I`ll give it a try :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back