Sealing kitchen end panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m fitting new units in a utility room. I’ve had to cut 2 end panels , one of which has 2 cut edges and therefore will have a cut edge to the floor. Should I seal the panel at the bottom and if so what with?
I asked someone who fits kitchens and he told me that he doesn’t bother to seal end panels, but this doesn’t feel right especially given that it’s a utility room!

Sponsored Links
Yes, should be sealed, also the cut should be at the worktop not on the floor (in an ideal world).

I've fitted kitchens (for a living) for a while and I also spent more than a few years shopfitting (which involves a lot of laminated MDF) - I always used to seal cut ends. That guy is taking quite a risk. Used silicone, D3 PVA or oil-based paint depending on what I had available

Yes, should be sealed, also the cut should be at the worktop not on the floor (in an ideal world).
Maybe, but impossible to achieve if you need to scribe to the floor

Sponsored Links
I've fitted kitchens (for a living) for a while and I also spent more than a few years shopfitting (which involves a lot of laminated MDF) - I always used to seal cut ends. That guy is taking quite a risk. Used silicone, D3 PVA or oil-based paint depending on what I had available

Maybe, but impossible to achieve if you need to scribe to the floor
Agree with you, but with dodgy floors i've always preferred to have uneven gap at the bottom rather than a cut.
And for dodgy walls, I've always preferred to chase a bit of the plaster rather than scribe the panel.
My way is to leave as much of the panel intact, because the factory seal is always going to last longer than anything else.
The cut on the worktop side is unlikely to get wet, but I always seal it with oil based varnish.
On one occasion I couldn't find it in the van and used a candle to rub wax on the cut.
That kitchen is still there afaik.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back