Cutting back trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house which has a very mature nice looking garden. It has about 4 trees in the garden which need cutting back. The tallest tree is about 25 - 30 foot so not massive. I'm thinking of attempting to climb them and cut a few branches by saw.

Is this the best method or can anyone suggest another way of doing it.

I know I can always pay for someone to do it for me but I'd like to at least attempt it myself once to see if it's something I can do to a reasonable level.

Sponsored Links
25 ft is a lot to fall from. but if youre gonna do use a decent ladder. And cut small bits of at a time cut under a little bit to make a mark then cut through the top. that way the branch will have a clean cut
try gardeningexpert.co.uk and look for trees.

iagree 25 feet up is a long way down (funny actually its 25 feet) our trees are not quite that tall, but i paid some one else. I am still here to type that i did.

If you insist on trying your self, do not do it on a windy day, and see if you can get one of them "saw on a stick" things, that way you will not have to go up to 25 feet

i think it best to get a proffesinal for this sort of job.
they know where to cut, how muchh to cut of and will have the rigt correct equipment to do the job

Sponsored Links
My parents always used a particular tree surgeon, he was like a steeplejack of trees, could get up and down them like a monkey. Very good at his job, and loved his work.

He fell out of a tree and died...

It is a dangerous profession even when you know what you are doing. Swinging a chainsaw about whilst standing a fatal distance above the ground is not a good idea at the best of times, for the person up the ladder or anyone underneath. I really would urge you to reconsider doing it "just to see what it's like".

Also, check there are no tree preservation orders in place. Your local planning office will be able to tell you. If there is an order in place and you start lopping branches off without permission then you can be fined up to £20,000. Any tree can be protected, it doesn't have to be rare or have historical/scientific value. :idea:

As a Tree surgeon I have to agree with madmattman and AdamW.
we may make it look easy but it is not as simple as climbing up a ladder with a saw, not even a hand saw. If it was we wouldn't need all are safety equipment would we?.
please think about it. ;)

mello

being the only tree surgeon on this forum,does it mean you are out on a limb? or are you just trying to branch out? or am i BARKing up the wrong tree?

breezer said:
being the only tree surgeon on this forum,does it mean you are out on a limb? or are you just trying to branch out? or am i BARKing up the wrong tree?

Aw Breezer, leaf him alone!
:D

Now you've got to the root of the problem you should pack your trunk for a well earned break and bough out gracefuly. ;)

Very sad.

I have a petrol chainsaw and you would've thought you would have to have a licence or training courses.

We had our trees trim down our road by the council and they have a safety rope from the chainsaw to the branch if you drop it. ( not on the branch you're cutting though :LOL: )

Silly question, what sort are the trees?

And yes, get the Professionals in! I've got a pollarded Horse Chestnut in my garden and will be thinking about cutting a few of the lower branches out this autumn, once I see the bare bones. BUT if it involves the higher branches, like above me head, I'll get someone who knows what he's doing, is insured, both for himself and my fences and my neighbours' fences sake, in!

im with mello... and if theres any more tree surgeon jokes......
just pay someone who is trained ...... a fall from 10ft can be fatal....is it worth killing yourself for the sake of a few quid....
shop around for a decent one we dont mind ...make sure he is qualified and INSURED...
you will make a mess of it with a large srtip of bark nicely ripped off down the stem of the tree cause you didnt know how to cut it correctly....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back