1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting down small to medium trees

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Keitai, 16 Feb 2019.

1. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Was watching some maniacs (tree surgeons) cut down these massive trees. They trimmed the branches upwards then started cutting the trunk down in bits from the top downwards. I personally do gardening and have been asked to cut smallish trees down. Is it a similar principle

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Feb 2019
  2. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unless you have the skills and relevant insurance, forget it unless its a clear fell job.
    It cost my Son fortune for climbing insurance and normal public liability wont cover you .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Smallish trees not the ones in the picture. Different totally. Bow saw at height and chainsaw at the bottom

4. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You dont need to cut down in bits like the pictures, for small trees.

They are doing that so the short sections of trunk that are being cut are falling in a safe area. Esp important in public spaces.

If you look at the pics there is nowhere clear to fell those trees. If trees are felled or branches cut and they snag on other surrounding tree, apart from damage it creates problems with branches under tension and risk of unpredictable movement.

5. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I cut down a 20 foot tree at my brother's house- trunk was maybe a couple of feet across at the widest. I am used to working at height .
    Basically the same process- trimmed off lower branches and cut them up to save space, using the branches above as tie off points so they could be lowered down. Retain any branch "roots" so the V can used to run ropes. At some point, as you get higher, you need to tie off in the middle and cut higher branches, using the lower branches as pulleys.
    Once you just have almost bare trunks you start to tie off higher trunk sections, small enough to handle, and lower them in sections.

6. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Avoid chainsaw where you can, a sharp pruning saw can go through a thick branch, and even a small trunk. Or a bow saw as you say.

Think about what you want to do with the stump. What you save doing the tree yourself could pay for a stump grinder. Be aware of where the services might be located underground, they can be nearer the surface than you think.

Blup

7. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think op is doing this job for someone else Blup.

8. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is the size I was thinking of cutting down. Or smaller. Was going to do a chainsaw course and get all the safety equipment. Use a good bow saw for top bits. Maybe get a harness for extra safety. Chainsaw on the ground for trunk. I've heard swinging branches have swung back and broken tree surgeon's backs in past.

1550334662469526235380.jpg

9. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Reciprocating saws can also be used with a suitable blade but probably not suitable up in a tree that size. If you can get up in the branches a bowsaw will give you a good workout.

Trees can have embedded nails, grit, all sorts in them so only take on if you are fit healthy and have the right equipment.

Blup

Last edited: 16 Feb 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Make a harness a 'MUST' and try to keep the restraining strap as short as possible without compromising your movements.
    No point being 3 metres up a tree if your harness is 4 metres long.

11. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you have a clear path to fell a tree (land it on a field), would you still cut it down in sections or fell it and chop it up when on the ground?.

12. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sectioning a tree takes more skill is slower so much more expensive than felling into a clear area .

• Like Like x 2
  13. Keitai

Keitai

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anyone in particular you would recommend for medium sized trees?

14. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    is that the actual tree, if so who has asked you to cut it down?

15. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The harness is to fit you irrespective of the size of the tree and if your asking that question you would be safer with two feet planted on terra firma

• Like Like x 1