How to cut down a tree?

S

Sombrero

I have an urgent need to cut down a tree.
Noticed today that one of the trunks of a willow tree next to my house seems to have shifted and is now resting on the one next to it... and they're both leaning this way.

They're about 30 - 40 ft tall with a trunk diameter of about 10inch at the bottom.

the trunks are at this sort of angle..... // with a sturdy cross branch on one stopping the other falling.

Question is, how best to cut the trunk of the loose trunk so it slips down yet stays upright? I don't have a chainsaw, all i have is one of those foldable pruning saws - which will get through the timber....

or should i get up a ladder and start taking it down from the top?

Sponsored Links
Get in touch with this guy or get a tree surgeon in.

I had a Romanian guy chop my tree down and I paid him 50 quid and he laughed when I suggested that he uses a safety harness, and tie himself in case he slips or a branch backfires! and You won't believe he had that tree chopped off in no time, with bare feet!

Find a tree surgeon, they aren't cheap but better than a trip to hospital or damage to the house!

Thanks for the advice guys, problem is it's a Sunday tomorrow, and we're given a foot of snow late on tomorrow... plus i want to sort it before England take on Ireland !!!

Forgot to mention that between the tree and my conservatory, is a public footpath...... should be fine though !

Sponsored Links
If you are determined to give it a go, don't work alone......get a rope up the tree and have someone pulling while you saw through the trunk.
Don't climb and saw - if the tree bucks you'll be down in a flash!
Don't attempt to saw through the trunk completely, just weaken it so it can be pulled to snap off - that way you an be out of the danger zone.
The best idea is to get a tree surgeon in.
John :)

because of the state of the tree, and the weather forecast, it feels like it's a "must do".... i don't have the sort of rope to control such a tree.... although i do have some nylon bands with a ratchet on which i could use...

i plan to take some time-lapse pictures, and if i survive, i'll post the film!

Thanks for your advice people...

Forgot to mention that between the tree and my conservatory, is a public footpath...... should be fine though !

Is the tree on your land and the footpath also crosses your land or is the tree not on your land and therefore not yours?

Is the tree on your land and the footpath also crosses your land or is the tree not on your land and therefore not yours?

Interesting point, it's not on my land, but overhangs my garden. It's part of a wood, where all the trees are TPO'd except this one... strangely...

My position is i have to take immediate action... i'll discuss with the farmer next week...

well get onto the council asap.
also bear in mind you might be chopping a tree that might have some kind of marker on it etc,which in turn could lead to more trouble.

or leave and let nature take its course then claim off the council......

also bear in mind you might be chopping a tree that might have some kind of marker on it etc,which in turn could lead to more trouble.

Thanks gregers, do the council work on a Sunday? The tree is the only one without TPO.. so i'm happy with the legal stuff... just want to know how to cut it !!!

dunno but im sure they must have some kind of setup to deal with things like this,ring them up and say you have concerns about the trees filling over and damaging yourself/property that might pull on there strings to get it checked.

An update on how it went....

If you imagine trunk A resting on trunk B like this... //
but probably more like 35 to 40 deg from vertical.

Started cutting at A with a (sharp) pruning saw and a bow saw. Took ages, but with the help of a passer-by, managed to get up a ladder and lop off some of the top branches to lessen the weight, and eventually drop trunk A to the side of B, but it was stuck at the top.
Now managed to clear the rest of the top branches so that if it fell it was clear of my garden but would still cross the footpath.

Now whatever i tried, i couldn't drop A. I tried cutting through B, but my sharp saw broke. Tried digging under A (as it was on a slope), but it wouldn't budge....

Now in the predicament that my garden was safe, but the path wasn't and i'd got a huge loose log (A) resting against a smaller (B), which could be equally as brittle, and over a public footpath...

Luckily my brother-in-law has a chainsaw... so i borrowed that, dropped B and chopped the lot up....

What a day in the sleet and snow....!!! and if there's a message in this for DIYers on here looking for advice.... don't do anything i did today !!!!

... and if there's a message in this for DIYers on here looking for advice.... don't do anything i did today !!!!

I'd second that. You came on here looking for advice and then ignored every last bit of it.
Then you borrowed a chainsaw! I presume you took the same approach to safe handling with that as you did to the rest of your adventure.

I'm glad that you appear to be alive, your limbs are still attached and the tree is down, but this really is an example of how not to approach a dangerous (and legally dubious) task.

Thanks gregers, do the council work on a Sunday?

Most councils have 24 hour emergency call out for any potentially dangerous or fallen trees, including broken limbs overhanging a highway or building.

... and if there's a message in this for DIYers on here looking for advice.... don't do anything i did today !!!!

I'd second that. You came on here looking for advice and then ignored every last bit of it.
Then you borrowed a chainsaw! I presume you took the same approach to safe handling with that as you did to the rest of your adventure.

I'm glad that you appear to be alive, your limbs are still attached and the tree is down, but this really is an example of how not to approach a dangerous (and legally dubious) task.

Lol, i ignored most of the advice, especially the Romanian guy !!!

I am quite sensible with tools, i own a table saw, cross cut mitre saw, band saw, a mortice chisel, cement mixer, SDS drill, and many many extremely sharp hand chisels....

Although i agree, a chainsaw is the ultimate beast, and i handled it with the ultimate respect....

Deluks, i didn't consider the option of ringing the council and getting an answerphone, or getting put through to India and giving all my details and waiting... !! i needed to crack on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back