Cutting trees down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I own a very small woodland behind my residential plot on a separate title deed.

The woodland has no TPOs and is not in a conservation area, SSSI, SAC etc so the trees can be cut down.
Forestry commission allow 5cubic meters a quarter so 20 cubic meters a year.

Can I cut all the trees down over the space of 3-4 years i.e. 80 cubic meters? and then once there are no trees left, change it to garden space? i.e. lawn it. Would this require planning permission?

I doubt I will get change of use with all the trees there so thinking to cut them down and use them as firewood / heating over the next few years.

Thank you,
Sam

Sponsored Links
i havent got a clue
but suspect its offcuts and windfall from the growing trees to a maximum not effecting the well being or general state off the trees rather than removal

If the land is classed as "agricultural" or something like that (i.e. Not domestic garden) then you need to get permission to convert to garden. You might gat away with a wild garden type conversion?

There have been several newspaper articles about people who convert a field int0 garden and have to convert back. No idea about the tree issue.

Sponsored Links
Simple solution.

Do you own any children, or grandchildren under the age of 16?

Simply transfer the title of the land to the minor, then chop all the tree's down that you want.

Presumably the "landowner" is prosecuted?

However in the uk you have to be 18 or over to won land or property

Fence it off with access from your existing garden, call it either an orchard or paddock, thin the trees out, maybe plant 'new' fruit trees in the future.
Lawns are boring

Sam Mahoney
where for art though :D
where did you actually get your volume measurements from [link please]
can you explain why you though destruction off the trees would be a likely outcome via this route ??
as i have no idea at all can you tell me what actually restricts your coppecing or felling off the trees as opposed to preservation
i am being genuine in wanting to know "as we are----- all still learning :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back