Cutting Barrel Steel Pipework For new cylinder

I would always go back to a female thread then adapt
Tho probably easy for me to say that, we still do some threaded steel install and are well equipped.

Sponsored Links
The good news is that the unions did come undone ! So it now looks like this!

I am going to reduce the pipework to copper sizes and then connect up

Is it a case of simply connecting flow / return / hot water draw / cold feed in and thats it ?!

Attachments

• IMG_6989 2.jpg
    IMG_6989 2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 74
Is it a case of simply connecting flow / return / hot water draw / cold feed in and thats it ?!
Pretty much so, but if you have Gravity Primaries, as said previously, make sure the cylinder is suitable, and don't reduce the pipework size, or you may have problems with the circulation, (or lack of.)

Sponsored Links
Pretty much so, but if you have Gravity Primaries, as said previously, make sure the cylinder is suitable, and don't reduce the pipework size, or you may have problems with the circulation, (or lack of.)
Thanks - All makes sense - I could not get a gravity coil and research shows it will work and is not too bad.

Current feed was 28mm but cylinder only accepts 22mm so will need to reduce flow and return

I see this on the return hot water near boiler on ground floor! Not on flow but on return - Am I correct that this is pumped hot water in that case

IMG_6806 2.jpg

Thanks - All makes sense - I could not get a gravity coil and research shows it will work and is not too bad.

Current feed was 28mm but cylinder only accepts 22mm so will need to reduce flow and return

I see this on the return hot water near boiler on ground floor! Not on flow but on return - Am I correct that this is pumped hot water in that case
That pump is on the C.H return. You have a gravity circuit on the hot water. Can't get a grav. coil cylinder ? Look for an "annulus heat exchanger" - that's what's in the cylinder, with the opposite side tappings

Remember this is a one pipe system so if the ch is pumped then the hot water also must be pumped

There are two return to the boiler which are joined at the end before entering the boiler.

Is it your suggestion to add another pump to the hot water

Very doubtful the cylinder connections are pumped.
That looks a standard gravity set up .
Really needs cylinder with gravity coil .
With your set up just for ease and speed I would have a cylinder made . Extra cost is not excessive most cylinder manufacturers offer a bespoke service .
If you in a hurry turn round can be as quick as 3 days .
We use Newark cylinders great service and in our case we can collect.

Remember this is a one pipe system so if the ch is pumped then the hot water also must be pumped
You've said you're going to replace the boiler, the new one will have one flow and one return connection. You could add a motorised valve after the tee to the HW cylinder, and run it as S-plan.
There are two return to the boiler which are joined at the end before entering the boiler.
Assuming the 2 returns are 1 from the rads, 1 from the HW cylinder, if you leave the pump where it is, on the return, the 2 pipes should be joined before the pump.

You've said you're going to replace the boiler, the new one will have one flow and one return connection. You could add a motorised valve after the tee to the HW cylinder, and run it as S-plan.

Assuming the 2 returns are 1 from the rads, 1 from the HW cylinder, if you leave the pump where it is, on the return, the 2 pipes should be joined before the pump.
Thank you. There is already a motorised two port valve by the hot water cylinder which cuts off the flow when cylinder is hot

That means in the summer I need to turn off the radiators and run central heating to get hot water

I can’t get a cylinder made up. It’s too difficult to arrange and we have been without hot water for a while

The two returns are joined up before the return so the current boiler has one flow and one return

Is a gravity coil really necessary. I be seen others post that they have used the normal cylinders with good results

Thank you. There is already a motorised two port valve by the hot water cylinder which cuts off the flow when cylinder is hot
Yes, the new valve would go after the tee to the existing. S-plan has two 2-port valves
That means in the summer I need to turn off the radiators and run central heating to get hot water
S-plan does it for you. The new valve only opens when CH is called on the roomstat.
Is a gravity coil really necessary. I be seen others post that they have used the normal cylinders with good results
No, as you're going for fully pumped a regular cylinder is OK. I doubt you could use a gravity system anyway, AFAIK all modern boilers are only suitable for fully pumped.

I won’t get to change the boiler for another six months because of money and new baby. Will the current setup work fine for six months until the boiler and new pump is fitted

Will the current setup work fine for six months until the boiler and new pump is fitted
By current set-up I assume you mean after a new HW cylinder has been installed. In that case, and if nothing else has been altered, if it worked before it will be OK now.

By current set-up I assume you mean after a new HW cylinder has been installed. In that case, and if nothing else has been altered, if it worked before it will be OK now.
Thanks - What I mean is with the non gravity coil cylinder is this going to cause a problem. Wont be able to get to it until tuesday as waiting for wages to clear to buy material but dont want to be without hot water for much longer

I took out an old (heavy copper) cylinder which had an enourmous coil inside from top to bottom and the new stainelss steel one is much lighter

What I mean is with the non gravity coil cylinder is this going to cause a problem.
If the HW is gravity now, it will still be gravity until you alter things and convert to fully pumped. But fully pumped won't be a problem with increased pressure, if that's what you're concerned about. Though looking at it again - are you sure it is currently gravity HW? Doesn't the pipe that the HW tees off feed the rads? If it were gravity I'd expect dedicated pipes from the boiler to the coil. Not that it makes any difference to your plans.
I took out an old (heavy copper) cylinder which had an enourmous coil inside from top to bottom
I trust you'll weigh it in for scrap! Don't leave it outside or it will disappear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back