Copper vs Stainless Steel cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the water cylinder. Does anyone have a view on whether it's better to get stainless steel or copper? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Copper :idea: or you`ll have to get a special immersion for s/s every time it fails

How often does the immersion actually get used and how often do they fail? answer is rarely and the incoloy immersions are easy to get. Immersions are a hell of a lot easier to replace on the stainless cylinder than on a copper cylinder.

Sponsored Links
How often does the immersion actually get used and how often do they fail? answer is rarely and the incoloy immersions are easy to get. Immersions are a hell of a lot easier to replace on the stainless cylinder than on a copper cylinder.

Trouble is thats not true!

Both Screwfix and Toolstation both list "Incaloy elements" !

Only trouble NEITHER is suitable for SS cylinders!

The element is certainly Incaloy but the thermostat pocket is just copper and will soon corrode through!

Take care!

Tony

Thanks for all your replies. I've currently got a copper cylinder and the immersion has failed - it's so badly corroded that you can barely see the immersion for the corrosion. I'm having to replace the boiler as well, so it would be good to save some money if a SS cylinder would be OK, but I don't want to cut corners if copper is better.

In that case consider a combi - no cylinder, feed cistern etc .

I can see the reason for the suggestion, but I've ruled out a combi as I want the back-up of a hot water tank and immersion heater in case the boiler breaks (and I also like having an airing cupboard!)

Fair enough - but is the copper cylinder actually leaking , or is it just the immersion that is covered with crud /corrosion . If they are removed properly there is no damage to the cylinder - tho` many "plumbers" will damage a perfectly good cylinder with brute force and an eye on selling a whole new cylinder - hard to believe ;)

I think it's just the immersion, although it's so bad that I can see why they might have a problem getting it out. Apart from the immersion, one or two of the plumbers that have been to see it have said that I need a new cylinder because the existing pipework isn't compatible with the new boiler. Admittedly it's a weird system, but getting on to talking boilers and the pipework system is opening up a large can of worms!

Better to talk to heating engineers!
Hence the thread! :D One of the people who has been to quote has quoted on a stainless steel cylinder, another has quoted on a copper cylinder. I don't just want to get the cheapest if it's not much good so I thought I'd ask for some independent advice :)

stainless all the way. will last longer for a start. The only time i fit copper is when the pipework is tight, as the SS ones have spigot type connections which stick out a bit so pipework alterations and a bit extra room is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back