OV Cylinder - best type and material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the subject title, what are the best OV cylinders to go for and which is better out of copper and stainless steel?

Sponsored Links
It depends whether you live in a hard or soft water area.

It also depends on the heat source for the cylinder, if it is a renewable source (renewable, huh!) then copper gives better heat transfer.

So there is no definitive answer unless you know the application.

NB: The worst cylinders I have come across are made by RM. Had three leakers and still waiting for reimbursement for my lost time for the first one. They can't even get the tappings in the same place on two supposedly identical cylinders. So even their replacement was aggro, even after I'd allocated half a day for swapping it. Total cr*p, nill points.

I've supplied IMI and Albion in the past, but having used Newark Copper Cylinder Co for around 30 years I'd give them twelve out of ten for quality, availability and service!

Thanks folk...

the ones I am looking at are either IMI Range or Glendhill I think.

application.....OV, gas boiler......

Sponsored Links
Ok so are they all fast recovery or do I have to look for somethign special on them?

whats the difference between the difference types?

assume I will keep the tank in the loft and possible put a expansion vessel in for the radiator circuit.

in an ideal world, stainless steel & high recovery (assuming the boiler has a decent enough capacity to make the most of the recovery). If you go with high recovery I always suggest having the system wired for hot water priority, its only 30mins tinkering with the wiring for someone who knows what they're doing.

Hi mickyg are you an installer and if so what type of systems do you fit?

I am in bedfordshire

sorry to come back to this.

I understand durability stainless steel is better.

what about heat retention and reheat times? is one better than the other. assume all other factors are same im looking at the envirofoam gledhill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back