Cutting bock paving kerbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way of cutting these kerb edging blocks please?

I need make some slim cuts to them (as per the marker pen), so that they can be arranged to form a circle. Im worried my angle grinder disc will want to slip out whilst cutting, seeing as its such a slim cut. Is there a good tool for the job?

slither_zps5ad1ef00.jpg

Sponsored Links
I used a diamond cutting disc on an evolution circular saw to cut similar blocks quite nicely, not the same number as you need though.

Thanks. I have access to a Stihl saw and diamond blade, will it be ok making such slim cuts? Im guessing I will need to clamp the kerb block down to stop it flying away?

Probably not the answer you are looking for but can you not do it without cutting and use pointing to create the angle. I think that is what most block paving contractors would do, some probably wouldn't even point them.

Having looked here they say either is acceptable:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blockdtl.htm

For cutting they recommend a bench mounted diamond saw, so as above.

Sponsored Links
Stihl saw and diamond blade is what we used to cut pavers and kerbs like that with.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but can you not do it without cutting and use pointing to create the angle. I think that is what most block paving contractors would do, some probably wouldn't even point them.

Having looked here they say either is acceptable:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blockdtl.htm

For cutting they recommend a bench mounted diamond saw, so as above.

Yes I suppose I could just arrange them with gaps, then fill with mortar. But was wondering how to do it the neatest way possible. Im wanting to create a 900mm diameter external circle, so the gaps will be visible on the front face of the kerb blocks.

Im not a professional, just a DIYer and if making such slim cuts will be awquard then Ill not bother with the cutting.

My worry was if the disc would slip out of the cut seeing as its such a slim cut to make. I will be using a hand held Stihl saw.

If you look at this example picture below, you can see that the kerbs start in the lower right of the picture as an external curve, before turning the other way to form an internal curve. What I'm trying to create is an complete external circle.

drivestyle-kerbs-2_zpseff3735a.jpg

Just noticed that its possible to buy them pre cut for an external radius..

ScreenShot2014-02-05at162449_zps36556334.png

the ones pictured have pre formed chamfers.

The main thing to concentrate on is the top and front face so cut that first then just cut the back rough to meet it as it will be hidden. Its easy enough to do a few but trying to cut lots all butting to each other is difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back