Cutting brick and putting a window in the loft room - Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much as the title states, I want to install a new window in the loft room on the gable end wall. Do i need planning permission? building regs? Can the work be done from the inside or is it a scaffold job?

Sponsored Links
You will be required to follow building regs; you will need to get BC to inspect the lintel & cavity closers before the window is installed (they may get nosey about that loft conversion as well if it’s not existing!) & you may even need PP as you are altering the outside appearance of the building but check with your local planning dept.

Afraid you will need outside access to cut the hole in the external brickwork & finish off the lintel/window installation – depending on the size of the hole you probably wont need to prop. I had 2 x 1200mm windows cut in a 1st floor gable without propping (a pig if you need to that high up) & not a single brick moved.

Gable end windows almost always need pp as mostly they will over look a neighbour etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back