querie on fitting a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im going to put small 450 by 500 windoe on my gable end wall to let light in to the loft its going to go about 3 bricks below the top of the gable and was wondering if i needed a lintel as there woudnt be much wieght there

Sponsored Links
is that the same gable wall that takes the weight of the ridge sitting on top of it, thats taking the weight of the roof?

Sponsored Links
be aware, any brickwork near the top of the gable end will be very fragile. the weight of the ridge board will only press down on the brickwork if the roof has spread a little. be very wary if you have an open ceiling with metal ridge though!!

how do you mean should i fit some kind of lintal i was thinking of some sort of metal strip as there isnt that much weight in the bricks plus its such a small window only 450 mm accross probley only 2.5 bricks accross

always assume the worst. a traditional roof with rafters, ridgeboard, purlins and joists, ( as opposed to trusses, wich have no ridgeboard) will support the weight of its own ridge board, the brick and block work is only cosmetic, until the roof spreads a little, then some weight can come down onto the masonry. i would fit a regular steel, cavity spec lintel in case of any later settlement, i.e. catnic cn7, birtley cb 70 etc.

Best to check with BCO first as there are rules & regulations on this to do with fire spreading out the window. I think it used to be 2m (?).

Might be easier to fit velux window with air-vent type and open it on a hot day :idea:

there are about 11 houses same as mine done this i no you should get regs but!!! any way by looking at some of them they have no lintal there is only one house i can see which has a concrete one but all these windows are larger .. i was also thinking of fitting a skylight window as they come 450 wide and my rafters are 440 so bit of adjustment needed but was going to see just how much light is given with the small window first as im only going to put the pc up there

You will get more light out of Velux window in the roof section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back