Cutting chipboard with jigsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I need some basic advice please.

I have been cutting down some laminate chipboard wood for shelving in a bathroom unit and I have not been happy wiht the finished cut.

Althoug the cut is a straight line across the board the actual cut looks slightly curved / angled when you look down it. It looks to me as though the blade is curving slightly during the cutting process. It almost looks live a bevel cut.

Do you think this is a sympton of trying to force the jigsaw across the wood rather then letting the jigsaw go at its own pace?

Does varyng the speed of the blade /pendulam action help?

Sponsored Links
Do you think this is a sympton of trying to force the jigsaw across the wood rather then letting the jigsaw go at its own pace?
Yes, you must let the blade do the cutting at it own pace otherwise the blade got no choice but to force out as the jig-saw is pacing too fast.

A jigsaw is not the best tool for cutting an even straight or perpenidular cut - the blade will wander however lightly you push it.

You should use a circular saw, or as its just a shelf, a hand saw and then finish the edge.

Or a router will reduce melamine edge chipping

new blade helps. Bu the thing is, you have to push down on a jig saw because that is how it works, if you dont push down the saw will jump up and down and the blade stay still (ok, not that still) , and it will not cut. But agree its not the right tool for strait lines

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I sussed what the main problem was.

I was clamping a staight bit of metal to the wood to use as a guide for the jigsaw. This mean't that the jigsaw had no room for minor movement and therefore mean't that the blade had to do the moving instead.

I reverted to free hand in the end, took it very slowly and finished with a result I was happy with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back